Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing iPhoto 11 to AP3 (3.1.2)

Due - and thanks - to the recent update in AP3, all of my iPhoto's maps/albums passed smoothly and correctly into Aperture's 'managed' library. The two libraries are the same now.

Until now my workflow was a 3-way step:
1) from memory card: import RAW pictures into DxO Optics Pro (my AP3 import 'preference') for its optical corrections module system and for some adjustments (use of keystoning/horizon tool and presets).
2) transfer of corrected images (= JPEGs) to iPhoto; their import make them 'originals' in iPhoto.
3) use of some of iPhoto's own corrections/adjustments tools, which make these 'modified' in iPhoto.

Using Aperture's managed lib now, some iPhoto images (at random) unexpectedly are doubled:
- One image displaying already existing iPhoto keywords in a row (ex.: "family, home, iPhoto Converted,
iPhoto Original, New Year 2011"), with 2 badge overlays for keywords and adjustments.
- One identical image with the single keyword "iPhoto Edited", only 1 badge about keywords applied, and
a number "2" (symbol for a 'stack'?).

Concerning pictures still without keywords nor adjustments by Aperture itself, one doubled image appears as follows:
- One mentioning "iPhoto Converted, iPhoto Original" with badges overlay concerning keywording
and adjustments (as linking to iPhoto?).
- One mentioning "iPhoto Edited" with a badges overlay about keywords and numbered as "2".
Although these images too were imported from iPhoto after correction, neither of the other 309 travel
pictures oddly have their badges overlay for adjustments appear.

So I have no clue as how Aperture's 'managed library' really manages these iPhoto pictures in such a various way of identifying ("iPhoto Original", "iPhoto Edited", iPhoto Converted), the not so consequent use of badge overlays, and the sudden appearance of a (stack?) number.

Sorry for this long explanation of what I experience right now. Any idea how all this can happen? Is it possible to post some screenshots to make any evaluation and comment easier?
Thanks anyway for your time.

iMac11,3 (2.8 GHz Intel Core i5), Mac OS X (10.6.6), 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 6:07 AM

5 replies

Mar 28, 2011 7:34 AM in response to pdrcourious

Just to get started on your issue I have the following observations which may help:

If you have photos which had been edited in iPhoto there can be two image files in some cases; these will both be imported together and displayed as stacks of two images. Each can be edited individually as there are two masters. They may be very similar if all that you have done in iPhoto is rotate the original. I deleted many of my duplicates. The iPhoto badges indicate what process it underwent in iPhoto before it was imported into Aperture.

Come back with further comments/questions when you have read this.

Mar 28, 2011 7:35 AM in response to pdrcourious

Yeah it can seem like a big mess after importing you iPhoto library into Aperture but really Aperture is trying to make some intelligent guess as to what is what and to make the transition as easy as possible.

Hey it's no Watson so some time things get a bit confused.

Basically at the top level you'll have 5 keywords
# iPhoto Original
# iPhoto Edited
# iPhoto Hidden
# iPhoto Converted
# iPhoto Externally Edited

In addition you'll have a top level iPhoto keyword with all the keywords from iPhoto under it. And strangely I have an additional *iPhoto Original* keyword with one image having that keyword in there.

Aperture wil stack the iPhoto Externally Edited image with the iPhoto Original it goes with.

iPhoto Converted correlates with the images I adjusted in iPhoto. If I search for images with adjustments applied and the keyword iPhoto Converted they return the same images.

Hopefully this will get you started being able to sort things out. Post back if you have more questions.

Mar 28, 2011 11:36 AM in response to Jim Calderwood

The photo with number "2" (keyworded "iPhoto Edited")(= first picture in the AP3 lib) was cropped as is the second picture (keyworded "iPhoto Converted", "iPhoto Original").

The rest of the travel images, that underwent many changes in DxO & iPhoto as well (optical corrections, applying the adequate optical module, cropping, keystoning, horizon, white balance, black/white points, sharpening, removing red eyes, etc.), all called "iPhoto Original", are displayed on their own (no stacks of two 'master' images.
Is this because I unchecked the option "automatically stack new versions" (general preferences panel)?

Concerning your practice of deleting these duplicates, which of the two: the one 'stack' image "iPhoto Edited" image or the second picture "iPhoto Converted/iPhoto Original"?

At the moment of writing I discover another odd phenomenon: when I "unstack" the first photo, the two images switch in 'split view' (the first one becomes second).

Mar 28, 2011 12:19 PM in response to pdrcourious

The rest of the travel images, that underwent many changes in DxO & iPhoto as well (optical corrections, applying the adequate optical module, cropping, keystoning, horizon, white balance, black/white points, sharpening, removing red eyes, etc.), all called "iPhoto Original", are displayed on their own (no stacks of two 'master' images.

There was a Chang at one time and iPhoto changed it's method to storing information and location of files. This altered how some files were key worded on transfer - I never did bother getting to the bottom of it.

Is this because I unchecked the option "automatically stack new versions" (general preferences panel)?

That preference relates to creating a stack when you create a new version while editing.

Concerning your practice of deleting these duplicates, which of the two: the one 'stack' image "iPhoto Edited" image or the second picture "iPhoto Converted/iPhoto Original"?

I preferred to keep the one that had not been edited - but clearly not viable if extensive edits had been made.

Importing iPhoto 11 to AP3 (3.1.2)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.