Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fast playback in car (160GB iPod Classic, BMW)

I just purchased a new iPod Classic for use in my car and have encountered a pretty strange issue. When I first attach the iPod it is perfectly functional via my car's onscreen menuing system. However, if I turn my car off and on again, the iPod begins to play back really fast -- it's in "double speed" mode!? Rebooting the iPod clears the problem up, until the next time I turn my car off and on again.

It's more than just a nuisance, as with 100GB of music on there it takes quite some time to load the index information. Rebooting my iPod means I have to start this process all over again whenever I get in my car.

Is this endemic to all Classics, or should I consider taking mine back for a replacement?

iPod Classic, Other OS

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 7:05 AM

5 replies

Apr 19, 2011 8:35 AM in response to ptimmons

I just got my iPod 160gb replaced for the same exact reason. Hopefully, it's the iPod, but your post doesn't give me a good feeling.

I have a 2011 550 i XDrive and only use my iPod in the car. It's interesting though that I did not have this problem at all using the BMW "Y" cable from a previous vehicle. It began when I switched to the Apple cable to get the album cover artwork in the display. Given a choice between album artwork and resetting my iPod each time... well that's easy.

Apr 24, 2011 9:56 AM in response to bobfromavon

I'm having a similar problem. I'm driving a new BMW 5-series with 6FL option for connecting Apple iPhones/iPods. My iPod Classic 160GB plays slow after turning car off and on. It's about 7% slower. I bought a new iPod Classic 160GB. Same problem. Both the iPods work fine in a Audi Q5 with Apple Music Interface. And iPhones 3GS and 4 also work fine in the BMW. So my conclusion: the problem combination is the iPod Classic 160GB model in the BMW.

So, I think the problem is in the iPod indeed. Not in your copy though, but in the model. I expect a replacement with another copy of the same model will give the same problem.

So now, were are we to go with our complaints? To BMW? But the BMW works fine with an iPhone. To Apple? But the iPod works fine in an Audi.

I've been resetting my iPod now about 50 or more times I think in the last 6 months.

Hope to hear from you if you find the exact cause or a solution.

Jan 7, 2012 6:44 AM in response to ptimmons

Hi, I had the same problem. When I picked up my new car BMW said that I should now use the Apple cable. I had the fast forward issue right from the start. While the official responce from BMW was that it was the iPod, the Service people saw a similar issue listed here and gave me a BMW cable to try. Now it works like a charm. It's been about 4 weeks without an issue....

Jan 2, 2013 11:58 AM in response to ptimmons

I just picked up my new BMW 2013 5 series and have the exact same 2x speed issues. I have done some additional experiments and have noticed the following. Hopefully there is a software upgrade or a way to turn off the double speed function as it was a pointless addition to begin with.

Seems to impact the following:

1. All audiobooks from Audible.com

2. Some Podcasts. - specifically - it does NOT affect "Manager tools" for some reason but does for HBO audio podcasts.

3. Does not impact music at all. - Seems the pointless (speedup/slow down) function is only available for Audiobooks and podcasts and spoken word - which is why only these are showing symptoms.

Cures:

I tried "fooling" the system by converting Audiobooks and Podcasts to "music" media in the ipod - thinking it would disable the speedup/slowdown capability and solve it. It did not. Bummer.

Using the BMW supplied adaptor fixes it - but due to it being a different type of delivery system - it does not display the cool album art on the screen, which I kind of like - Bummer.

What does work but it is a hassle - put all your Audio books and podcasts into a playlist and add 1 or 2 "anchor songs." When you arrive at your destination and listening to a book - go to the playlist and select the song. Once playing turn off the car. Next time you turn on the car - it will start on the song and you can then scroll down in the playlist to the book you were listening to.

Same goes for Podcasts - if you know one (manager tools for instance) does not to this - click on that podcast when you stop the car and then return to the one you were listening to when you get back in.

This is my cure so far - but really Apple - make an update for that book thing allowing you to disable. When you deal with companies such as Apple and BMW - you kinda expect to be paying to NOT be annoyed by this kind of thing.

Dec 2, 2013 2:16 PM in response to ptimmons

I am having the identical issue in a 2014 X5. Similar to douglasfromdenver, I found that a workaround was to select a song when starting the car, then back to the audiobook. It's a hassle but does work for the meantime. I am not sure there will be a fix soon. Meanwhile, I am gong to try a Belkin cable and see if that helps, since changing cables seems to have had some effect.

Fast playback in car (160GB iPod Classic, BMW)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.