Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI to VGA output possible (or will I get HDCP errors)?

Hello.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use an HDMI-to-VGA cable with the ATV (gen2)? I purchased an ATV for my parents and they can't use it as every time they go to play a movie rental or stream Netflix, they get an HDCP error saying "the connection doesn't support HDCP".

I have confirmed their TVs HDMI (v1.3) ports all supports HDCP and I have also used various HDMI cables, but nothing I do works — it always results in an HDCP error.

They have a VGA port available on their TV and I'm wondering if it would be possible to use an HDMI-to-VGA cable to play content? Or would this also result in an HDCP error?

My only other option seems to be to return the ATV?

Thanks,
Kristin.

20" Intel iMac 2.16 Ghz, Macintosh SE/30, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Xserves (Early 2009, Early 2008, G5), Mac Pro

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 7:49 AM

9 replies

Mar 28, 2011 8:55 AM in response to kristin.

LG say it's not their problem, everything else works fine so it's the Apple TV. Apple says, well, nothing.

That's different. Sounds like either a bad cable or TV2 unit. Have you tried swapping cables or having the TV2 tested by the local dealer. I had an TV2 go bad between the end of one TV episode and the start of the next. The local Apple store checked it and replaced it without question. Four others plus the replacement (including a Gen-1 model), are all still working fine.

User uploaded file

Mar 28, 2011 9:03 AM in response to Winston Churchill

On my parents TV (32" LG LCD), I have tried various cables, etc. but can never get the ATV to play protected content. The first thing I did was take it home and plug it in, using the exact same cables, to my TV (42" LG LCD). Worked fine. I then tried with the 3 other HDMI cables I'd been trying at my parents house. All worked fine.

This initially led me to believe it was an issue with their TV. So, I attached a number of other HDMI devices (that require HDCP) to their TV, and all worked fine, no errors. I then dealt with LG on this and they determined that everything was fine with the TV, especially since other HDMI-based devices requiring HDCP had no issues.

So, at this point, the only thing left is that the ATV just doesn't like their particular TV. These boards are flooded with this issue on various models/brands of TV. I don't think there's any real solution other than returning the ATV. It's a bummer. I absolutely love my ATV and I know they would have too. Once again, shoddy copyright protection wins again.

Thanks,
k.

HDMI to VGA output possible (or will I get HDCP errors)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.