Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create a domain file for iweb

Hi all,
I've recently purchased a new MBP and would like to move the iWeb sites to the new computer. However, the domain in my user/ library/app support/iWeb has a domain from a really old site that I no longer use. How do I go about finding the domains fornthe current websites, or is there a way to recreate it?
Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 1:18 PM

8 replies

Mar 28, 2011 1:28 PM in response to lbrookins

Are you able to open iWeb on your old computer and get your current web site? If so then you must have a domain file somewhere else on your old computer. Download and use Find Any File to search for "Domain.sites". It can search areas that Spotlight can't.

If you only get the old site when you open iWeb and there's not another domain file on the hard drive you'll have to recreate your site from scratch. Chapter 2.3 on the iWeb FAQ.org site has tips on using some of the existing files, image, audio, video, etc., from the published site in the recreation of the site.

OT

Mar 28, 2011 1:37 PM in response to lbrookins

Just by searching. If you have more than one I'd give them different names, put them both in the your Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder and use iWebSites to change domain files when necessary.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

Or drag the iWeb folder into the Finder's Places pane so you can easily access that folder and double click on the domain file you want to use.

Sep 12, 2012 11:26 AM in response to John Armstrong6

In Lion and Mountain Lion the Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and hit the Enter button - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

To open your domain file in Lion or Mt. Lion or to switch between multiple domain files Cyclosaurus has provided us with the following script that you can make into an Applescript application with Script Editor. Open Script Editor, copy and paste the script below into Script Editor's window and save as an application.

do shell script "/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.iWeb iWebDefaultsDocumentPath -boolean no"

delay 1

tell application "iWeb" to activate

You can download an already compiled version with this link: iWeb Switch Domain.

Just launch the application, find and select the domain file you want to open and it will open with iWeb. It modifies the iWeb preference file each time it's launched so one can switch between domain files.

WARNING: iWeb Switch Domain will overwrite an existing Domain.sites2 file if you select to create a new domain in the same folder. So rename your domain files once they've been created to something other than the default name.

OT

Create a domain file for iweb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.