Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up Mail

I need to reformat my three year old iMac and need to only backup my Apple Mail and Address Book folders and such. I use Time Machine but I am not sure what files contain the Apple Mail and Address Book folders. Can anyone help? Thanks - Neil

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 2:03 PM

13 replies

Mar 28, 2011 2:29 PM in response to Neil Salkind

Your mail and address book files for your account are stored in your user library folder.
Mail is under User>Library>Mail.
Address Book is under User>Library>Application Support>Address Book.

Of course there will also be some preference files under your Library Preferences.

I would suggest you back up your entire User Folder and all your information will be there.

Better: If you have a large enough external Drive, backup your entire hard drive using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner and restore the whole drive back after.

Mar 31, 2014 1:32 PM in response to Glenn Leblanc

Hi Glenn,

Boy oh boy, I need HELP! There IS a Library on my hard drive. But there is no MAIL in it! And here is no Library under USER. So User>Library>Mail does not exist!

(There is a MAIL application icon in the main Applications folder.)

Nor is there USER>Library>Application Support>Address Book!

I do see Application Support in a folder called "Shared", but that Application Support folder is empty!!!

How is this possible?

FORGOT TO MENTION I USE LION (OS 10.7.5)

Message was edited by: audiofixer

Apr 2, 2014 5:16 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

Thanks (again) for telling me what to do to see the invisible folders.

However, this still leaves me unable to find my Address Book and Mail folders on thye external drive to which Time Machine does my backups! And, yes, I'm having everything backed up - nothing excluded.

The Finder does not show in the files backed up by Time Machine, so I cannot use the trick of clicking on GO in

order to see the otherwise invisible Library! I'm sorry to harp on this, but there is something which everybody else seems to know that I don't!

Backing up Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.