Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Insert Return in Formula

I've tried to find the answer to this question in the Numbers Help and User Guide and searched in this forum but can't find the subject addressed.

I would like to concatenate several cells into one but with returns or line breaks between some of the original cells. Specifically, I want to take a table in which contact names, street addresses, cities, states and Zip codes are contained in separate cells and put this information into a cell formatted as a mailing address like this:

Name
Street Address
City, State Zip

I know how to combine the information in the individual cells into a single cell but can't solve the problem of writing a formula that causes to new cell to be a multi-line cell as shown above. Is it possible to do this in Numbers '09?

20-inch mid-2007 iMac / White MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 5:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 6:35 PM

Include the return as a text string in the concatenation. Press option-return in place of return.

=B2&"
"&C2&"
"&D2&" "&E2&" "&F2

where each of the line breaks in the formula is an option-return will produce the three-line result you want where the cells B2 - F2 contain

Name, Address, City, State, Zip

in that order.

Regards,
Barry
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2011 6:35 PM in response to Thomas Wright1

Include the return as a text string in the concatenation. Press option-return in place of return.

=B2&"
"&C2&"
"&D2&" "&E2&" "&F2

where each of the line breaks in the formula is an option-return will produce the three-line result you want where the cells B2 - F2 contain

Name, Address, City, State, Zip

in that order.

Regards,
Barry

Mar 29, 2011 8:18 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

Yes, Yvan, you are absolutely correct. Lately I find myself having "senior moments" more frequently where my fingers type or my mouth utters words that are different from what my mind intended. I used the quotation marks in writing the formula suggested by Barry but somehow messed up my reply to him. Thank you for catching my goof so that others will not be misled by my carelessness.

How to Insert Return in Formula

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.