Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LCD or LED monitor, which is better?

I'm looking to get a 24" or bigger HDMI monitor for my G4 tower. I already bought an HDMI adapter to work with. Which is better to get? An LCD or LED monitor?

G4 AGP (500Dual), PowerMac 8600, Mac OS X (10.5.7), Mac Man

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2011 7:37 PM

They are both the same thing. They are both LCDs. The latter just happens to be backlit using LEDs in place of fluorescent lamps. They're not all that different from one another. I would advise buying more on features and what you like rather than the difference in how the two are backlit.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2011 7:37 PM in response to Web dude

They are both the same thing. They are both LCDs. The latter just happens to be backlit using LEDs in place of fluorescent lamps. They're not all that different from one another. I would advise buying more on features and what you like rather than the difference in how the two are backlit.

Dec 20, 2011 2:09 PM in response to Web dude

...Might as well go for the best viewing experience if I can with HDMI.

Additional info: many of the monitors with HDMI are "just" 1080p monitors, meaning they're 1920x1080 resolution regardless of how big the monitor is. (i.e.: a 22" 1080p monitor and a 26" 1080p monitor are both 1920x1080 pixels.) Really, they're the same screen you seen on TVs. On the other had, monitors that have higher resolution (more pixels) often use DVI or Displayport connectors. While 1080p is fine for movies and such, a true 30" monitor will be sharper than a 30" 1080p "monitor" (TV) and will probably have a dual-link DVI connector instead of an HDMI connector.

IOW, a monitor with an HDMI connector may or may not be "the best viewing experience".

LCD or LED monitor, which is better?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.