Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intel Wireless Display

Is there anyway of getting Intel wireless display on the new MacBook pros?

Macbook Pro 2011 17" and 13", Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Mar 29, 2011 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2011 11:00 AM

Intel say's it an MS Windows product only, so the answer is no assuming you do not have MS Windows running on your MBP. I'd recommend getting an Apple TV it will do the same thing.

Please read the specifications for the product at:

http://www.intel.com/consumer/products/technology/wirelessdisplay.htm#fragment-a -2

Roger
14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2011 11:00 AM in response to Reclusive46

Intel say's it an MS Windows product only, so the answer is no assuming you do not have MS Windows running on your MBP. I'd recommend getting an Apple TV it will do the same thing.

Please read the specifications for the product at:

http://www.intel.com/consumer/products/technology/wirelessdisplay.htm#fragment-a -2

Roger

Mar 31, 2011 3:00 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I'm interested in somebody actually confirming this either way, too. From my reading Intel does seem to suggest that WiDi should work purely by having the new i core chips, but like Roger says, I think the OS has to support it too (and OSX doesn't seem to).

And on that note, WiDi has two distinct advantages over Apple TV in that no additional hardware is required between your computer and large display ... and if my reading is correct, the spec of WiDi suggests that anything your WiDi computer can display can be displayed on a WiDI capable display. The current media devices like Apple TV are restricted in this sense, as they are concerned about making revenue from streaming services and thus are harder to control when sourced from a non-restricted source like a computer.

That said, I have not seen it in action personally, although I do recall a prototype being displayed on Youtube somewhere that demonstrated how it worked. So with that said, I would also welcome any OSX or Windows users who have been able to get WiDi working through their Macbook Pro.

Something else that makes me think this won't work in Windows on the Macbook, is that WiDi requires Intel HD Graphics ... which apprently Apple have yet to support on dual graphics Macbooks. Perhaps to deliberately hinder anybody wanting to use WiDi rather than Apple TV?

Message was edited by: BlueFrog69

Message was edited by: BlueFrog69

Dec 13, 2012 7:56 PM in response to Reclusive46

There is no way. I tried everything. Not even boot camp. Hardware not suported. Of course it was because of a market hold. As apple made Apple Tv only available to Mac computers, it does not want WIDI to be supported by other devices that are half price of an Apple TV. Also, Apple TV DOES NOT work as WIDI, as only stream, photos, videos or music from iTunes, it does not share your desktop on the screen.

Although Intel based Mac's would make sense to work, the hardware in the most cases does not work for one simple reason: Intel doesn't want to. To WIDI to work, you have to buy a new computer that supports it. Even a 13inch MacBook Pro 8.1 (Late 2011), has a compatible graphics Intel HD and i5 compatible processor, the wireless card MUST be a intel Centrino Wireless card listed. The WIDI software won't even install if you don't have a computer compatible. Of course, what is the diference between the Mac Wi-Fi for the intel centrino? None. All are 802.11 b/g/n, same as AirPort, some Intels have the lower speed rates (Macs can go up to 450Mbps), and some Intels are not even 5GHz like the Airport.

So the only explanation is Market hold. Apple does not want Apple Tvs to work on other devices as well Intel does not want other devices to work on their WIDI. Neither Apple wants their MacBook Pros to work with WIDI so they won't sell Apple Tv's.

Reasonable explanation?

Feb 15, 2013 12:41 PM in response to Paulo Avila

The apple TV 3rd Gen does work as WiDi. i do it all the time with my TV. it works very well on a wireless N router at 300mbits. I do believe its a marry between software and hardware. You require a WiDi compatible video chipset in your computer. It seems to be the current generation of intel "i" series, being the 3xxx processors. But for $109, the apple TV is much more than a WiDi client, you can also do your internet radio, movie rentals etc on it.

Feb 17, 2013 10:43 PM in response to Maulm

Hi Maulm;

I have a Macbook Pro Retina 15". All macbooks from 2011 onwards and iMac and Mac Mini's from Mid 2011 will support it with Mountain Lion. This is because the video cards in these devices support on Card H264 encoding, meaning that performance will not be deminished by accessing CPU usage. Older devices do not support on chip H264 encoding. If you do have an older device, you can use AirParrot, however, bear in mind that CPU usage will be much higher, and could impact system performance. If you do however have a supported machine, when connected to your network, with an apple TV, you will have an airplay icon in the tray up the top near the clock icon. click on that and select Apple TV (or whatever you have called your Apple TV) and that will automatically enable airplay mirroring

Feb 18, 2013 11:30 AM in response to ajistewart

Nice, I have a macbook pro mid 2012, so airplay should work.

But, back to the original problem, does that works only with an apple TV, or is there a way to make it work with Intel WiDi? The reason I'm asking is because I got a new TV that supports WiDi, and the apple tv is going to be installed on another TV in the house, not on this new one 🙂

But thank you for your answers.

Apr 5, 2013 2:53 PM in response to Reclusive46

According to Intel, WiDi not only requires a 3rd Gen Intel Core processor, it also needs an Intel wireless card from a very narrow list of supported hardware. Check out the official requirements here: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/iwd/sb/CS-031059.htm

Since Apple computers use Broadcom wireless cards, I don't see how WiDi would work even on Boot Camp.

Jun 9, 2013 1:20 PM in response to Reclusive46

I have following MBP,

MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Display INTEL HD4000

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0fd5

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3688

gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]

I want to connect my MB to WIDI. Can you please advise how can this be achived. I am not sure which application to run. In windows there is WIDI application but i cant find any in the mac.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Intel Wireless Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.