Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth problems with iPad and computer iMac

Hi
I have been having problems with the Wi-Fi it shows a tick by the side of my iMac under Airport but for some reason I cannot connect so I then tried to connect through Bluetooth and even though I get a set of numbers to pair with and my computer says "Congratulations! Your computer is now set up to use Bluetooth headset." Then says "Pairing was completed successfully and A computer serial port was created". I still cannot connect with my computer the iPad just keeps searching.
Any ideas?

2.93GHz Intel Core i7, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Memory 8GB

Posted on Mar 29, 2011 11:48 AM

12 replies

Mar 29, 2011 12:10 PM in response to George Hilton

You should not be trying to use BlueTooth to pair the iPad with the Mac. I would remove any pairing that you have tried to achieve.

If you wish to set up an internet connection for your iPad using the AirPort card in your Mac then you would need to share your Mac's Ethernet internet connection with the iPad over AirPort. If your Mac's internet connection is an AirPort connection, then you should not be trying to connect the iPad to the Mac, but connecting the iPad directly to the router providing your wi-fi.

User uploaded file
Dah•veed

User uploaded file

Mar 29, 2011 12:22 PM in response to Dah•veed

Hi David
There is an up arrow in the airPort icon and as I say there are ticks in both the iPad and my mac also I have a program that shows internet in and out speeds and it looks like the internet is going out but nothing coming back. Also under Network it shows Automatic then Ethernet IP
Public IP
and AirPort IP
Should all theses have different numbers?
Ta.

Mar 29, 2011 12:24 PM in response to Ashka

Hi Ashka
There is an up arrow in the airPort icon and as I say there are ticks in both the iPad and my mac also I have a program that shows internet in and out speeds and it looks like the internet is going out but nothing coming back. Also under Network it shows Automatic then Ethernet IP
Public IP
and AirPort IP
Should all theses have different numbers?
Ta.

Mar 29, 2011 1:03 PM in response to George Hilton

Those numbers will be different for all of us. The public IP is your modem/router/gateway connection to your Internet Service Provider. The ethernet IP is the connection that your m/r/g has assigned to your Mac on your Local Area Network. The AirPort IP is the self assigned address that your Mac has assigned to the connection that you are sharing with the iPad via AirPort.

So from your answer I see that you are sharing your Mac's ethernet connection over AirPort with your iPad. I also do this and on occasion the iPad shows the wi-fi icon claiming a connection, but nothing flows out. So I have found a couple of things to solve this.

1. Reconfigure sharing the internet connection on the Mac.
2. Manually connecting to my Mac's network from the iPad.

Jun 11, 2011 8:15 PM in response to Dah•veed

Does this basically means that NO BLUETOOTH connection is available between iPad2 and MacBookPro (5.5)?

Because I just posted a question since I don't seem to be able to pair the above mentioned devices: my MBP shows "pairing successful", whereas my iPad says "not connected" and doesn't even discover/"see" my MBP.

(not only the MBP, but my Mac-mini as well, although I set it to "discoverable"-my MBP sees the Mac-mini....)

If you know the answer, could you also explain why my iPad doesn't seem to "see" other devices that are discoverable like that example with the Mac-mini?

Thank you very much!!!

Jun 12, 2011 7:05 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Ok, that sounds reasonable.

I understand that there's no need for the iPad to pair with my MBP.

BUT IS IT STILL NORMAL THAT MY IPAD DOES NOT DETECT OTHER BLUETOOTH-ENABLED DEVICES, SUCH AS MY MAC-MINI AND MBP?!

If my iPad would at least detect them like any normal functioning device-and not have the need to connect to them-that would be understandable. But the fact that it doesn't even "see" other bluetooth-enabled devices worries me...

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Jun 19, 2011 8:11 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Repeat:

"Ok, that sounds reasonable.

I understand that there's no need for the iPad to pair with my MBP.

BUT IS IT STILL NORMAL THAT MY IPAD DOES NOT DETECT OTHER BLUETOOTH-ENABLED DEVICES, SUCH AS MY MAC-MINI AND MBP?!

If my iPad would at least detect them like any normal functioning device-and not have the need to connect to them-that would be understandable. But the fact that it doesn't even "see" other bluetooth-enabled devices worries me...

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!"

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth problems with iPad and computer iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.