Skip navigation

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth problems with iPad and computer iMac

4016 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2011 10:55 AM by Meg St._Clair RSS
George Hilton Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 29, 2011 11:48 AM
Hi
I have been having problems with the Wi-Fi it shows a tick by the side of my iMac under Airport but for some reason I cannot connect so I then tried to connect through Bluetooth and even though I get a set of numbers to pair with and my computer says "Congratulations! Your computer is now set up to use Bluetooth headset." Then says "Pairing was completed successfully and A computer serial port was created". I still cannot connect with my computer the iPad just keeps searching.
Any ideas?
2.93GHz Intel Core i7, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Memory 8GB
  • Ashka Level 4 Level 4 (3,760 points)
    Wrong info sorry.
    15"MacBook Pro., Mac OS X (10.6.7), 32g WiFi iPad. 32g WiFi/3G iPad 2.
  • Dah•veed Level 7 Level 7 (29,590 points)
    You should not be trying to use BlueTooth to pair the iPad with the Mac. I would remove any pairing that you have tried to achieve.

If you wish to set up an internet connection for your iPad using the AirPort card in your Mac then you would need to share your Mac's Ethernet internet connection with the iPad over AirPort. If your Mac's internet connection is an AirPort connection, then you should not be trying to connect the iPad to the Mac, but connecting the iPad directly to the router providing your wi-fi.

Dah•veed

Early '09 Mac mini, Early '06 17" iMac CD, 64 GB iPad 2 wi-fi, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Happily using Macs since 1984!
  • Dah•veed Level 7 Level 7 (29,590 points)
    Those numbers will be different for all of us. The public IP is your modem/router/gateway connection to your Internet Service Provider. The ethernet IP is the connection that your m/r/g has assigned to your Mac on your Local Area Network. The AirPort IP is the self assigned address that your Mac has assigned to the connection that you are sharing with the iPad via AirPort.

So from your answer I see that you are sharing your Mac's ethernet connection over AirPort with your iPad. I also do this and on occasion the iPad shows the wi-fi icon claiming a connection, but nothing flows out. So I have found a couple of things to solve this.

1. Reconfigure sharing the internet connection on the Mac.
    2. Manually connecting to my Mac's network from the iPad.
    Early '09 Mac mini, Early '06 17" iMac CD, 64 GB iPad 2 wi-fi, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Happily using Macs since 1984!
  • mishkapolar Calculating status...

Does this basically means that NO BLUETOOTH connection is available between iPad2 and MacBookPro (5.5)?

Because I just posted a question since I don't seem to be able to pair the above mentioned devices: my MBP shows "pairing successful", whereas my iPad says "not connected" and doesn't even discover/"see" my MBP.

(not only the MBP, but my Mac-mini as well, although I set it to "discoverable"-my MBP sees the Mac-mini....)

If you know the answer, could you also explain why my iPad doesn't seem to "see" other devices that are discoverable like that example with the Mac-mini?

Thank you very much!!!

• Meg St._Clair Level 8 Level 8 (37,475 points)

The iPad has a limited number of Bluetooth profiles. It can pair withnkeyboards, speakers, headsets, car stereo systems. Some games allow what isncalled peer-to-peer connections within the games. There are no profiles for file transfers so there's really no reason to pair it with a computer.

• mishkapolar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Ok, that sounds reasonable.

I understand that there's no need for the iPad to pair with my MBP.

BUT IS IT STILL NORMAL THAT MY IPAD DOES NOT DETECT OTHER BLUETOOTH-ENABLED DEVICES, SUCH AS MY MAC-MINI AND MBP?!

If my iPad would at least detect them like any normal functioning device-and not have the need to connect to them-that would be understandable. But the fact that it doesn't even "see" other bluetooth-enabled devices worries me...

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

• mishkapolar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Repeat:

"Ok, that sounds reasonable.

I understand that there's no need for the iPad to pair with my MBP.

BUT IS IT STILL NORMAL THAT MY IPAD DOES NOT DETECT OTHER BLUETOOTH-ENABLED DEVICES, SUCH AS MY MAC-MINI AND MBP?!

If my iPad would at least detect them like any normal functioning device-and not have the need to connect to them-that would be understandable. But the fact that it doesn't even "see" other bluetooth-enabled devices worries me...

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!"

• Meg St._Clair Level 8 Level 8 (37,475 points)

What happens when you try to pair it with something it's supposed to work with, say, a keyboard? If that works, I wouldn't worry about it. If that doesn't, make an appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.