Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I record from a microphone?

I am trying to record from a Sony ECM-MS957 Stereo Condenser Microphone to my Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz.

The Powerbook only has a "Line In". When I plug in the mic and try and record to Garageband or Audacity the level is very low even with the record volume all the way up. The mic works great with my mini disc recorder so I know that the mic is OK.

I am not really sure at all how to record with this mic to the Powerbook and I've no idea what the difference is between a "Line In" and a "Microphone In" is.

Do I need something live the Griffin iMic USB adapter to make the mic work? Do I have to amplify the mic to Line Level?

I looked around on the web for information but found it hard to find anything.

Come someone offer some ideas please?

Thank you

iMac, 17 Powerbook, 12iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.2)

Posted on Dec 23, 2005 8:00 AM

2 replies

Dec 23, 2005 9:13 PM in response to Kevin Plumb

Hi Kevin. The problem is you have a condenser mic. A condenser mic requires what's called Phantom Power or +49 v.

You can solve your problem one of two ways.

1- Go to Radio Shack and buy an inline Phantom Power Supply and use your line in.

2- Buy a USB pre like you mentioned, just make sure it can supply Phantom Power.

I would suggest option #2 Better gain and sound.

Hope this helped, Kal

Dec 24, 2005 10:39 PM in response to Kevin Plumb

Kevin,

The problem isn't the phantom power... the sony you mentioned has a battery built in to supply the condenser electronics.

I'm pretty sure the PowerBook is a line level input, not a mic input.

If so, the problem is that line level input is expecting higher voltage levels than the mic produces. You need a preamp to kick the mic output up to "line level" voltages.

Jp

How do I record from a microphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.