6 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2013 9:17 AM by Clarknet
clemsonbaseball Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Hello. I am currently running Aperture 3.1.2 and iPhoto 11 9.1.1. Due to scanning images from prints and slides, I find it MUCH EASIER to change the times in iPhoto using Batch Change than in Aperture, but I have noticed that this has caused a dilemma.

When I change times in iPhoto and import them into Aperture, the time changes to the time I set in iPhoto but into GMT +0:00 instead of EST or EDT.

1) How to I correct this? Is it something that I can change in Aperture, iPhoto, or in the system itself to prevent this from happening?
2) How to I easily correct this in Aperture with the images that I already have in the system? Currently I am having to go to Batch Change in Aperture, change the camera time zone from GMT +0:00 to US Eastern, then go to Adjust Date and Time to get it back to the correct time in EST/EDT.

Just to rant a little on this...this is the most frustrating thing about Aperture/___sbsstatic___/migration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png/___sbssta tic___/migration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png/___sbsstatic___/migration-im ages/migration-img-not-avail.png I love the program minus the lack of a way to adjust time with an "add x seconds/minutes/days between images" feature like the cheaper iPhoto has. If you know of a better way to do such a thing I am open for suggestions. Heck, I'll send you a card if you can help me Just don't talk over my head too much with Applescript or automator stuff that I don't understand (or send me a link to something good that can help Mac newbies like me/___sbsstatic___/migration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png)

iMac, MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
  • Mr Endo Level 3 Level 3 (995 points)
    Hi Clemson,

Welcome to the user-supported Aperture forum.

Someone else had a time zone problem earlier this year. It doesn't seem completely related, but I thought you might want to read it: [http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12989798&#12989798].

When I change times in iPhoto and import them into Aperture, the time changes to the time I set in iPhoto but into GMT +0:00 instead of EST or EDT.

How are you getting the photos out of iPhoto and importing the photos into Aperture?

How are the photos to which you *have not* done any iPhoto date adjustments? I.e., follow the same set of steps you would use to answer my first question, but start with a photo to which you have applied no date/time changes.

I love the program minus the lack of a way to adjust time with an "add x seconds/minutes/days between images" feature like the cheaper iPhoto has.

Well, just because a program is cheaper doesn't mean that a more expensive program will have all of the "cheap" features plus more.
    You're using the "add x seconds/minutes/days between images" feature because all of your scanned images are in order, but have the same timestamp?

nathan
  • clemsonbaseball Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Nathan,
    Thanks for the help.

What I do is make changes to several hundred images at a time in iPhoto and then import to Aperture via File > Import > Import iPhoto Library...

I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing differently on the images and it seems to be more of a freakish thing with no rhyme/reason. I have tried to recreate the situation several different ways and can't pinpoint exactly why some images are correct while some use the GMT format.

I will scan the images using a flatbed or negative scanner in the order the image was taken and then usually select a group that I know was taken the same day and do a Batch Change in iPhoto to change the date and time. It has been a long and tiring process--I'm burnt out--but it was very rewarding until I discovered the time change stuff. I noticed that some of the images were out of sequence even though the times appeared to be correct, the only exception being some were EDT/EST and others were GMT.

I wish I could simply set Aperture to understand that all images are to be EDT/EST (based on the timezone set on the computer...I checked and mine is EDT currently) unless I otherwise change them myself.

Thanks again!
  • Mr Endo Level 3 Level 3 (995 points)
    Can you find one of those problematic photos and then trace it *through iPhoto* to the master? That would be one good piece of data -- Is the photo date wrong *before Aperture can see it* ? Just because it looks right in iPhoto isn't really a strong enough argument to know the answer...

It has been a long and tiring process--I'm burnt out--but it was very rewarding until I discovered the time change stuff.

I know the feeling (well, part of it...). I've been going through a similar process, but luckily my mother went through the scanning part! I just had to figure out when the photos were taken and undo the crazy order that she scanned them in.

nathan
  • Jim Calderwood Level 4 Level 4 (3,215 points)
    Is there anything inconsistent in the Time Zone settings in the Import Settings panel - for what you are doing I'd assume that you would have the Camera Time and the Actual Time as the same zones and watch out for day light saving changes.
  • Michael Fash Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am having this same problem, with all my photos that I imported from iPhoto showing as GMT. (With the all the times being correct if I was in GMT time zone, but I am in PDT.)

In Aperture, I know that you can do a batch time change for all photos, offset them all by 7 hours, and then reassign the time zones -- but i think that woudn't be an accurate fix, due to the variances with Daylight Savings. (Photos taken during Daylight Savings would need to be offset 7 hours, versus 8 hours in Standard time. Applying this manually for each year's photos, according to the varying Daylight Savings dates, would be a big pain.)

I realize this post is from last year, but were you able to find a solution to this issue? I'm using the latest versions of iPhoto and Aperture. Thank you!

• Clarknet Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Did this get resolved? I'd like one master way to homogenize all time zones. I too have a huge mix of iPhoto legacy photos and Aperture photos combined into single Aperture libraries. I can't imagine doing any thing by hand, it would be impossible.

As it is now, i have pictures that don't line up because of the inconsistency (based on sorting by time).

I think the "raw times" are correct, but would be best if all images were set to EST or EDT of GMT from their time stamps.

HELP Apple! My cameras were correct, iPhoto and Aperture failed us!