Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 MacBook Pro 13" blue screen at start up and shut down

While boot into Mac,after Apple logo show up, it took 20 more spins then BLUE SCREEN for about 3 to 4 seconds. After shut down, the BLUE SCREEN also will show up for few seconds. Any suggestion will be appreciate.

2011 Early MacBook Pro 13" i5, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Mar 29, 2011 8:04 PM

18 replies

Mar 29, 2011 8:40 PM in response to lonelyseason

Try doing a SMC Reset first, if that doesn't do it try to start in Safe Mode. If both fail then insert the Install Disc that came with the computer and try booting from it while holding down the C key. If it still doesn't work then time to take it your local Apple Store for a warranty issue.

_SMC RESET_

• Shut down the computer.
• Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
• On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
• Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
• Press the power button to turn on the computer.

_PRAM RESET_

• Shut down the computer.
• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step
• Turn on the computer.
• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
• Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
• Release the keys.

Roger

Mar 30, 2011 3:48 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Just now, I tried the SMC Reset and the PRAM Reset but with no luck, the blue screen still show up even in the Mac OS installer disc for repair the disk permission.
Reinstall the Mac OS X will solve this problem? As this is a new laptop, don't think it will fix...
I've installed Window 7 in BootCamp, should I need to uninstall the Window?
I don't want to reinstall everything again, it kill my time....
Any suggestion else?

PS. The system run with no problem, just start up time took longer and the blue screen will show up after the Apple logo and after I shut down the computer

Apr 3, 2011 7:23 AM in response to lonelyseason

Hi,

I have an 27" iMac 2009 and 2 days ago it started to have the same problem, takes 10 minutes to start up in the blue screen and when I shut it down it takes a few seconds wi the same blue screen, also if it goes to sleep mode it freezes coming back on the blue screen. But when it's running theres no problem with the computer, everything runs well.

I've run Repair Disk, Repair Disk Permissions but still the same. Tried the reset thing also, no luck

Have you had any luck with your MackBook Pro so far?

Apr 3, 2011 8:20 AM in response to andreneves29

andreneves29,

I would first recommend posting in the iMac forum and creating your own post. How you get to the iMac forum is click Discussions which you will see in the upper left of this screen. Then navigate to the iMac forum section and choose the appropriate forum, in your case it would be for Intel based iMacs. Then you will see a link for starting a new thread.

Roger

Apr 3, 2011 9:04 AM in response to lonelyseason

I have a 2 week old 17" 2.3Ghz i7 macbook pro and I also get the light blue screen at boot up and shut down. At boot up it first goes to a really light blue, then a darker light blue.
Problem is, this is my first Mac and I thought that was normal! It has been happening since day 1. I have had one freeze up problem waking from sleep, then when it did boot, I had a bunch of horizontal white lines.
Apple is sending me a brand new replacement, but I just want to be sure that the blue screen is not a normal thing and if it's not, I don't want it to happen on the replacement either.
For the record, the only problem I had was that one freeze up, and other than that everything seems to be running fine.

Apr 3, 2011 9:15 AM in response to Namueab

No that is not normal behavior at all. When you turn on your machine it should immediately boot to OS X unless of course you have installed MS Windows using Boot Camp.

You sound like a recent convert to OS X so I'd recommend you spend some time familiarizing yourself by looking over these web sites. Also if you haven't already carefully read your manual, you will find useful information in it.

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

Roger

Apr 3, 2011 9:37 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you for the reply Roger.

However, I do not have any problems "using" the Mac (setting up, running applications, etc.).

I did however check out the links that you provided, and there are some nice tips and features in there!

My simple inquiry was to the blue screen that presents itself at boot up and shut down. As it only appears for mere seconds, and has happened since brand new out of the box, I assumed it was normal. I don't think I've seen in the manual or instructional videos where it stated that a few second blue screen was abnormal, and if it is there, I missed it.

I did "Google" the issue after reading the OP's initial post. It seems that most people who were mentioning the blue screen were having freeze up, or not able to boot at all problems.

I do appreciate your help and I don't want to come off sounding like I'm being an ungrateful turd; but because I didn't know about the blue screen not being normal does not mean that I am incapable of using a Mac, properly or efficiently.

Thank you.

Apr 3, 2011 6:50 PM in response to Namueab

Namueab, Roger,

I got my imac 27" about 14 months ago and it was just now (2 days) that the blue screen issue appeared, it takes 8 minutes to me very stressing, it's not normal it never happen before, I also have an older imac (24") and it never had this problem. It's seems to me it's an hardware problem but ...

Anyway Roger sorry for the post, I'll take a look at your link's and repost mine on the imac discussions, Thank's.

And ohh, about being new to mac ... the first time that i used a Macintosh was around 88, played a lot of Shufflepuck Cafe, I'm not an expert but I'll get there in time 🙂

Have a nice one.

Apr 15, 2011 1:26 AM in response to lonelyseason

I got the same problem, too. I had this Macbook Pro 13" 2011 model just last month and it's working fine yesterday night (the last night I am able to use it) and when I turned it on just this morning @ 5 am, it got stocked up in a blue screen after the Apple Logo gray screen. Then after that, nothing happens. I left it a couple of minutes 'till an hour but it just sleeps with the blue screen on display. I can try single-user mode or safe mode. I have never installed files not compatible with an OS X. I am using my PC this time since I really can't boot my system. I never installed Windows OS too, using BootCamp or whatever it is called. Please do help me.

Apr 19, 2011 6:27 PM in response to lonelyseason

All, I have been having similar issues with my 13 inch MBP. I've had it for a couple weeks now. Ive had an original aluminum Macbook for the past two years and had not one issue with it. In fact, I was a BSOD virgin and didnt even have any idea what it was when it initially happened on my new MBP.

Anyway, I've now had 8 BSODs and Im looking for ideas on what might be causing it. Let me go through it.

To start, I did a TimeMachine backup of all the data from old MB.

When turning on my new MPB for the first time, I chose the option to restore everything. (first off, could this be the cause?)

I let TM do it's thing, and the new MBP booted up no issues, everything looked the same, no errors, all is good right?!?

I then added the 8GB of RAM to the new MBP. I added this - Mushkin Enhanced 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Memory (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226167). Granted, I know that this memory doesnt specifically say it is for my model MBP, but it specs out the same. I have run both the short and in-depth Apple Hardware Tests and no errors were found. And the BSODs have been happening both with the original memory and the new so I do not think it is the memory (is there anyway to tell for certain though?!?)

I've also read a separate forums stating that USB tethering is causing ALOT of people BSODs and that booting into 32bit instead of 64bit seems to help. (here for more) I dont tehter anything via usb. I have one USB peripheral and thats my TM drive. So I'm not sure this applies to me, but might help others.

Another forum I read suggests that there is something specifically new on the install DVDs with the new MBPs and that TM backups from previous versions is not a good idea. I cannot locate the forum at the moment, but I have the quote from it "You're getting a kernel panic because you installed Snow Leopard via the retail disk. Make sure you use the disk provided in the box. These 2011 MBP's require a special, newer build of SL." (does anyone know if this even true?!?)

Other than that, I've

• kept up wth and installed all the software updates available so far (Safari, Itunes, iPhone, etc.)
  • reset the PRAM
  • reset the SMC

I do have a Win7 VMware session which I have been able to use without error.

A friend of mine said his last TWO 17 MBPs had similar issues on launch and it took an Apple update to correct the issue but I dont have the details on that.

My KPs (in order of occurence if it matters):

• 04/05 -BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Google Chrome He
  • 04/05 -BSD process name corresponding to current thread: prl_disp_service
  • 04/07 -BSD process name corresponding to current thread: mdworker
  • 04/16 -BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task
  • 04/16 -BSD process name corresponding to current thread: iTunes
  • 04/16 -BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task
  • 04/17 -BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task
  • 04/17 -BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B04

SMC Version (system): 1.68f96

I apologize for the long post, but Im looking for help and hopfully this will help others. My next step is to return this. I am quite disappointed so far considering I hadn't experienced any issues with my previous MB.

Thanks for the help.

g

2011 MacBook Pro 13" blue screen at start up and shut down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.