Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail sent is missing - how can it be recovered from backup into the program

I've been using two POP accounts in my Mail program for the last few years, one with Virgin Media and one with 123-Reg. In upgrading my account with 123-Reg yesterday, all the messages in the Virgin SENT MAILBOX disappeared! There's a backup of them but I don't know how to recover them into the program. Can someone help?

I was naturally mystified as to why this happened. How were the two accounts connected? Is this a possible explanation?...

My deal with 123-Reg was what they call a 'pophost account', which meant I could receive mail via their server but not send - return mail went via Gmail. (The setting in the Mail program showed Outgoing Mail Server as 'smtp.gmail.com'). Yesterday's upgrade with 123-Reg means mail can now be received and sent via their server. I deleted the old account in Mail Preferences and created a new one with new settings (showing Outgoing Mail Server as 'smtp.123-reg.com').

I had no idea this would have any effect on the Virgin Media account and result in the disappearance of all mail in the SENT mailbox! (All mail in the Virgin INBOX is intact). Then I remembered that I'd changed the Mail Preferences setting on this account too, with Outgoing Mail Server also as 'smtp.gmail.com'. (This was because when working outside the UK the Virgin server wouldn't accept my outgoing mail). Could it be when the connection between 123-Reg account and Gmail was cut this also affected the connection between the Virgin account and Gmail?

I'm truly puzzled by what's happened. Mail SENT on the Virgin account continues to go via the Gmail server, so the link is still there. But all the mail SENT up to yesterday is missing. How can I recover this mail back into the program from the backup?

Your help would be appreciated!

iHope

G5 Dual 2GHz PowerPC; MacBook 2GHz Intel, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 30, 2011 2:09 AM

52 replies

Mar 30, 2011 5:24 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

Thanks for your response!

Where is this "backup"? If it's the whole Mail folder the try Mail>File>Import Mailboxes...

The backup is on an external hard drive, where everything is backed up.

In the Mail program the content of one of the SENT mailboxes vanished! I don't know why... in my posting I offered a speculation. However, the important point is that all the mail that was in that mailbox is in Library>Mail>POP account>Sent Messages.mbox

Are you saying I can import the contents of that 'Sent Messages.mbox' into Mail? As simple as that? Without risking problems?

iHope

Mar 30, 2011 6:22 PM in response to iHope

Since we're not certain why it went away, first do this...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*
3. Click the First Aid tab.
4. Select your Mac OS X volume.
5. Click Repair Disk, (not Repair Permissions). Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

If perchance you can't find your install Disc, at least try it from the Safe Boot part onward.

Then in Mil>File>Import Mailboxes, choose Mail for OSX, then point it to the whole Mail foldr on the backup, after that step it should show you your choices, those will be imported into a new Import Mailbox.

Mar 31, 2011 3:42 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks again BDAqua!

Your suggestions have been followed, resulting in some minor repairs to the disk and to some permissions.

Before going on to do the importing, I'd just like to clarify something....

Before posting, when I discovered that all mail sent had disappeared from one of the SENT mailboxes, I replaced the Mail folder at User>LIbrary>Mail with the (backup) Mail folder that's on the external drive, hoping this would cure the problem. It didn't.

I can see that one of the SENT mailboxes in User>LIbrary>Mail contains all the missing emails. These don't appear in Mail. Can I import that particular SENT mailbox even though it's currently in User>LIbrary>Mail? I just wanna be sure it's ok!...

Thanks,
iHope

Mar 31, 2011 9:39 AM in response to iHope

It looks like you can do that, just uncheck all the other boxes, but maybe try this first...

Not certain, but this can fix myriad Mail problems...

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), it will try to repair your Disk Directory while the spinning radian is happening, so let it go, run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, then move these folder & file to the Desktop.

Move this Folder to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Caches/Mail/

Move this file to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail/Envelope Index

Reboot.

Mar 31, 2011 11:34 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

Thanks again. I'm happy to import as you've suggested. Given what you've said, I feel fairly confident that should resolve the problem.

However, your last remarks, "try this first"... made me think. If I were to do so, what would 'success' look like?... The Virgin SENT mailbox contains only the emails of the last couple of days. All the others are missing. Would "try this first" recover the missing mail into that mailbox? I don't think so. Why?

This is where the 'speculation' in my original post becomes relevant. I thought the Virgin POP account and the 123-Reg POP account were completely separate. I was wrong. What I've discovered is that the missing (Virgin) mail is included in the 'Sent Messages.mbox' in the old 123-Reg POP folder (in User>Library>Mail)!! As explained in my first posting, email SENT on both accounts actually went via the Gmail server. It seems that the Mail program treated them as the same and kept them in the same folder. So when I upgraded the 123-Reg POP to an IMAP account and dumped the old account, I inadvertently also dumped the Virgin SENT mail with it. That's why the Virgin SENT mailbox was empty! Only the Virgin mail sent the last couple of days appears in that mailbox. Is it making sense?

If so, it probably means there was nothing wrong with Mail, but plenty wrong with me! In which case is "try this first" likely to work?

iHope

Apr 1, 2011 4:04 AM in response to BDAqua

Dear BDAqua,

I tried the "try this first" as you suggested and unfortunately it didn't work.

(Should the two folders on the desktop now be trashed? I notice the Mail cache folder no longer exists in User/Library/Caches/Mail ... is this okay?).

I then tried importing the missing mail (over 100 MB). I navigated to the Messages folder in *Sent Messages.mbox*, clicked 'Choose' and the following notice came up:
" Error - No valid mail for Mac OS X files were found."

I then navigated into the Messages folder but all the .emix files were grey.

What next?

Some questions....

Would it make any difference if I tried importing from an external hard drive?

When selecting 'Import Mailboxes...' in the File drop-down menu, I naturally chose the import data button for *Mail for Mac OS X*. Would it make any difference if I chose Other?

Could it be that Mail isn't recognizing these Sent messages because the account in which they were created no longer exists? (I deleted that account in Mail Preferences a few days ago). Therefore in the File drop-down menu, can the 'Add Account..." be of use?

Thanks for your assistance!

iHope

Apr 1, 2011 9:44 AM in response to iHope

I notice the Mail cache folder no longer exists in User/Library/Caches/Mail ... is this okay?).

Hmmm, no, it should make a new one when you run Mail again, don't trash them yet.

I navigated to the Messages folder in Sent Messages.mbox,

Backup, you have to choose the whole Mail folder for import, THEN the next window gives you the choice of mboxes.

Apr 1, 2011 10:28 AM in response to BDAqua

Hello BDAqua,

I'm pleased to say a new Mail cache has appeared (although naturally it's tiny compared to the older one).

Backup, you have to choose the whole Mail folder for import, THEN the next window gives you the choice of mboxes.

The *Sent Messages.mbox* in question is a couple of levels down. Library>Mail>POP>Sent Messages.mbox. So are you saying I'll have to import all the items in the old POP account?

Finally, given what I've described, if the import works, is Mail likely to create a new SENT mailbox to accommodate this mail. My Mail currently has 3 separate SENT mailboxes.

Thanks,
iHope

Apr 1, 2011 10:41 AM in response to iHope

In the File selector dialog box you must choose...

Backup>Library>Mail>

After that you get the choice of which mboxes.

Finally, given what I've described, if the import works, is Mail likely to create a new SENT mailbox to accommodate this mail.

No, it'll all be in a new Mailbox called Import n, but it'll tell you there name/number of the new one.

After import you can move the eMails in Mail if you wish, by dragging them to another box.

Apr 1, 2011 11:10 AM in response to BDAqua

I navigated to the Mail folder (in the computer, since it is the backup) clicked 'Choose' and the following notice came up:
" Error - No valid mail for Mac OS X files were found."

I then tried to import from the Mail folder on the external (backup) drive and got the same error message.

What next?

iHope

Apr 1, 2011 11:49 AM in response to BDAqua

Hmmm, do a Get Info on the external Mail folder, what Rights does it have?

It says
You can: Read & Write
Owner: iHope (in grey) with closed lock
Access: 'Read & Write'

Group: 'iHope' (in grey)
Access: No Access
Others: No Access

What kind of backup is it? How was it done?

On a regular basis the whole Mail folder in Library is backed up to a bootable external hard drive

iHope

Mail sent is missing - how can it be recovered from backup into the program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.