Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rowmote vs Apple Remote app for iphone

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know the pros and cons of both the Rowmote and Apple Remote apps for iphone. Im trying to decide which is the better of the two for my iphone and apple tv.

Thanks

Posted on Mar 30, 2011 4:03 AM

3 replies

Mar 30, 2011 8:14 PM in response to toicy4ya

I'm the developer of Rowmote.

Speaking specifically about functionality for Apple TV 2G, both apps provide control over the basic Apple menu system, and both apps provide a keyboard through which you can type inputs (e.g. YouTube or Netflix searches) rather than using the on-screen remote-based keyboard.

Apple's Remote app lets you select music and movies on the Apple TV through the iPhone-based menu system, so you can make selections without looking at your connected TV screen.

Rowmote lets you control third party applications on a jailbroken Apple TV, such as XBMC, which Apple's Remote app will not control.

You have to perform a jailbreak to make use of Rowmote on your Apple TV 2G, while Apple's Remote app works out-of-the-box.

I hope that clarifies the benefits of each. Please let me know if anything is unclear.

P.S. Rowmote is actively developed, and no system update (so far) has come with any problems in terms of control... but use is also dependent upon the jailbreak community, and for example right now the most recent update has only a 'tethered' jailbreak in which a Mac or PC is required to boot the Apple TV initially. If you don't want the features that XBMC or jailbreaking in general add to the Apple TV, you're probably best with the simplicity of Apple's Remote app. If you do, email me; I'm happy to help.

Rowmote vs Apple Remote app for iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.