Skip navigation

Need quick help in reducing Keynote File Size!

3975 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2013 3:39 PM by MRJ58 RSS
VReddy Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 30, 2011 7:31 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm working on an important presentation in keynote 09 and I want to be able to reduce the file size so that I can email it! I've tried using the reduce file size option but it still doesn't do it! There are quite a few images which I'm trying to crop and reduce but I can only do so much without compromising the quality of the images. And now the file size is just getting bigger and bigger even though I'm cutting slides out which has me really confused! I was wondering if any of you could help me with this. Advice is really appreciated. Thanks so much!
  • Paul JB Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Mar 30, 2011 8:00 AM (in response to VReddy)
    If you did not try the following, it should be easy:
    Cropping will not change much, but use secondary click of the mouse and select the option
    "REDUCE IMAGE FILE SIZE"

Do the same for all pictures you have in the presentation.

I hope this will help.

Let me know

Take care, good luck for your presentation.

Paul
    iPad, iOS 4, SilverMacbook, os X 10.6.6
  • Rick A Level 1 Level 1 (85 points)
    Mar 30, 2011 11:29 AM (in response to Paul JB)
    You can also do this under File>Reduce FIle Size
    2 15.4" MBPs, Mac OS X (10.6), iPhone 3 GS 32 GB, iPad 64 GB
  • Paul JB Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Mar 30, 2011 1:13 PM (in response to VReddy)
    I have the impression I might not have been clear enough ...

You have to click on the image you want to reduce with the secondary click (control+mouse click) to get the drop down options with reduce file size.

That's how I get my documents much lighter.

Have you done that?

Take care,

Paul
    MacBook5,1 Intelcore 2 duo 2Ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iPad, iPhone 3GS, iPod Shuffle 2G, iPod Classic 3G, iPod Video 4G
  • Rick A Level 1 Level 1 (85 points)
    Mar 31, 2011 5:33 AM (in response to VReddy)
    Perhaps the file is just large, and you've done everything possible?

One other thing you might want to try is to do a "Save As" with another version number. I just did that to a file that was 27.2 MB and it shrank to 25.4 MB. Not much, I know.

I don't know how KN works internally, but a program like Adobe's InDesign stores all the changes you make to a file at the end of that file (if I understand correctly), and when you do a Save As, it rebuilds the file and gets rid of all the old info.

Just curious, how big is your file, what's in it (lots of images?) and how small were you hoping to get it?
    2 15.4" MBPs, Mac OS X (10.6), iPhone 3 GS 32 GB, iPad 64 GB
  • MRJ58 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Nov 14, 2013 3:39 PM (in response to VReddy)

I figured out a workaround. After reducing the file size, I duplicated the file to a NEW file ... which appears to get rid of the invisibly saved versions (which must have retained the old, big images). The new file, then, is much smaller and has no version history embedded.

Does that help?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.