Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Unread" Smart Folder

Hi folks. I'm having a problem trying to sniff out unread items.

I want to have a smart mailbox which shows me unread items for select accounts that are not in other bins.

The problem that's showing up is that GMail IMAP shows up twice: Inbox for the GMail account, as well as All Mail. How can I get around that part? Is that showing up properly?

Cheers

G5 1.8, Blackbook 2.0, Mac Pro 2.8 (8c), iMac 17 2.0, Touch4, Shuffle2, iPod40, Mac OS X (10.6.6), iPhone? Heck I'm still giggly about MultiFinder!

Posted on Mar 30, 2011 10:41 AM

11 replies

Mar 30, 2011 12:10 PM in response to BioRich

I've tried that. The problem arises when the unread count still appears for the gmail account down below. So it splits this up.

I don't understand any of that. But some of what you say seems to indicate that you can still see the All Mail mailbox in Mail. Is that the case? If so, you have not successfully hidden All Mail. The goal is to not see All Mail listed as a GMail mailbox in Mail.

It's as if there are 2 instances of the same email. One in All Mail, the other in Inbox.

Yes, exactly... that is precisely how the All Mail mailbox works, except that it's not actually a copy. It's actually the same e-mail listed in two different places. (Technically, GMail's mailboxes are not actually mailboxes, they're labels... so an e-mail can be in multiple "mailboxes" at one time.)

Mar 30, 2011 2:07 PM in response to BioRich

When a new email comes in for that account, it shows as unread in All Mail. In my "Unread" smart mailbox, it shows up twice, once in All Mail, the other in Inbox. They are the same message, but show up twice.

As I've said twice now, that is normal for GMail. Is there a problem with hiding the All Mail box, as I have recommended?

Mar 30, 2011 4:28 PM in response to thomas_r.

You also said you were confused as to what I said, so I was explaining. If you don't want explanations as to what I'm seeing, then don't say you're confused.

I have also said that I have tried hiding the All Mail box. Go back and read what the problem is when I do that.

So, it still remains, after your suggestions, that I have tried everything, and it still remains a problem. Yes it might be a GMail problem. We got that.

Mar 30, 2011 5:19 PM in response to BioRich

You also said you were confused as to what I said, so I was explaining. If you don't want explanations as to what I'm seeing, then don't say you're confused.

You're explaining the wrong thing. What I didn't understand was your description of what happened when you tried to hide All Mail. You have not provided information about exactly what you tried or what happened in that regard, and without that, nobody can assist you further.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

"Unread" Smart Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.