Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error message when sending from hotmail exchange account on my iPhone 4

"Cannot Send Mail - An error occurred while delivering this message". Please help!

Dell, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 30, 2011 2:13 PM

6 replies

Apr 13, 2011 3:15 AM in response to si5

I've got the same problem.

It was going fine, I didn't change any settings, and all of a sudden was getting an error message when trying to send email through hotmail account.

It still receives emails, just can't send.

I did get a popup message saying I needed to logon to hotmail, but the passwords etc are all still the same, so I'm not sure what else it wants me to do to "logon".

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Sep 18, 2011 7:43 AM in response to si5

Here are the steps to setup Hotmail to sync and push to your iPhone (this works on the iPad too):

• Launch Settings
  • Tap on “Mail, Contacts, Calendar”
  • Tap onto “Add Account”
  • Select “Microsoft Exchange”
  • Enter your full Hotmail email address into both the Email and Username fields
  • Leave Domain blank
  • Enter your password
  • Enter “Hotmail” as the Description
  • Tap onto “Next”
  • Now you must enter the server, use “m.hotmail.com” for the Server name then tap onto “Next”
  • The iPhone will now verify that your Hotmail information is entered correctly, the next screen you’ll be able to enable Mail, Contacts, and Calendars

You can then delete your original Hotmail email account on the iPhone (i.e. the one which you can't send emails from).

Hope that helps.

Dec 24, 2013 10:35 AM in response to si5

I have had the same problem. When I updated my hotmail/msn password on a desktop computer, I then had to update it on my iPhone in TWO areas (Incoming and Outgoing, the latter is obviously the issue we're experiencing):

#1 Incoming:

Settings> Mail, Contacts, Calendars> (Select the hotmail/msn email)> Password> (update your password)> Done

#2 Outgoing:

Settings> Mail, Contacts, Calendars> (Select the hotmail/msn email)> Outgoing Mail Server (which is smtp.live.com on my iPhone)> click on smtp.live.com again to get to the password area> (update "Password")> Done> Back> Done

Error message when sending from hotmail exchange account on my iPhone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.