I've got the same problem.
It was going fine, I didn't change any settings, and all of a sudden was getting an error message when trying to send email through hotmail account.
It still receives emails, just can't send.
I did get a popup message saying I needed to logon to hotmail, but the passwords etc are all still the same, so I'm not sure what else it wants me to do to "logon".
Any ideas appreciated.
Here are the steps to setup Hotmail to sync and push to your iPhone (this works on the iPad too):
- Launch Settings
- Tap on “Mail, Contacts, Calendar”
- Tap onto “Add Account”
- Select “Microsoft Exchange”
- Enter your full Hotmail email address into both the Email and Username fields
- Leave Domain blank
- Enter your password
- Enter “Hotmail” as the Description
- Tap onto “Next”
- Now you must enter the server, use “m.hotmail.com” for the Server name then tap onto “Next”
- The iPhone will now verify that your Hotmail information is entered correctly, the next screen you’ll be able to enable Mail, Contacts, and Calendars
You can then delete your original Hotmail email account on the iPhone (i.e. the one which you can't send emails from).
Hope that helps.
I have had the same problem. When I updated my hotmail/msn password on a desktop computer, I then had to update it on my iPhone in TWO areas (Incoming and Outgoing, the latter is obviously the issue we're experiencing):
Settings> Mail, Contacts, Calendars> (Select the hotmail/msn email)> Password> (update your password)> Done
Settings> Mail, Contacts, Calendars> (Select the hotmail/msn email)> Outgoing Mail Server (which is smtp.live.com on my iPhone)> click on smtp.live.com again to get to the password area> (update "Password")> Done> Back> Done