Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari not playing mp3 files

So I uploaded an mp3 file to a site, copied the link, pasted it into the address bar in safari and it won't play the file. I open firefox do the same and it plays right away. Anyone else having this problem? I may just switch over to firefox completely and never look back.....

MacBook Pro/iFon 4, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Mar 30, 2011 5:13 PM

4 replies

Apr 5, 2011 2:34 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

I'm having the same problem.

Carolyn thanks for the link, but that just tells you how to download an mp3.
The problem is Safari has suddenly stopped playing mp3s

Enter a URL with an MP3 & you used to be able to play them onscreen but it's suddenly stopped working.
You get the audio file displayed as usual (y'know, play, time line etc) but no matter what you do nothing happens.
I thought it might be my file (or even quicktime?) but enter it in Firefox, Camino, Opera & Chrome and it plays straight away so looks like something's gone wonky in Safari

Thinking about it it stopped working after the last software update from Apple... :/

Apr 23, 2011 4:02 PM in response to fatpotanga

Hy everybody,

this problem exists since last year after updating from 10.5 to 10.6 and New Safari!

Every mp3 song out of iTunes with inserted informations like Artist/Album etc. won't

play anymore on webpages inside Safari! If you take songs from iTunes to iWeb, it converts mp3 to QuickTime Movie Format and the Quicktime slider shows the question mark. But on iPads, iPods, PC's it works OK! With OSX 10.5

this was never a problem. To fix this problem would be nice from AppleSupport!!! We are waiting

since nearly 10 month! It also would be nice if iWeb, iTunes and Safari can work together correctly.

Last year I spoke with Apple Support, they had no solution to work correctly. I work in music, webdesign and

3D Design and need this bugfix, we are waiting so long time for it!

Best regards Kalle Körner!

May 6, 2011 2:21 AM in response to Kalle Koerner/Slice-Production

i have a similar problem. my thread here goes into much more detail:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3040776

anythingcreated in 10.6 has these problems. with mp3s you can move the sliderforward very slightly and they will play, but in non-apple software(including firefox, chrome and vista) the files will download.

it affects video as well.

Safari not playing mp3 files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.