13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2013 8:08 AM by ynot151
Jawk Level 1 (0 points)
First Day with this macbook pro and i am hearing a clicking noise on the right side. It is about every 30 seconds.. is anybody else having this too?
My room is really quiet, but it is weird that it happens every 20 - 30 seconds.

'11 13" Macbook Pro i5, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
  • TeenTitan Level 4 (2,410 points)
    Hi jawk,

do you have a disk in the drive?
  • ChaoticFury Level 1 (5 points)
    I had the same problem on my Macbook Pro. I called Apple and took it back because I was under the 14 day return policy. When I got my new one I ceased hearing a noise. It happens occasionally because it is the hard drive accessing data but not every 30 seconds unless your searching hard for data.
  • Jawk Level 1 (0 points)
    No disc in the drive. Did they say that it was a problem? This is already my second one.
  • Vanillak Level 1 (0 points)
    I took mine back for the same issue and the second one does the same thing. The man at the genius bar said he couldn't hear anything but let me exchange it anyway. Could the clicking noise we are hearing really be bad? I keep reading conflicting answers.
  • monevr Level 1 (0 points)
    Having this problem as well... really dont want to take it back... what is the sound??
  • meb239 Level 1 (0 points)
    I got my Apple refurbished 13" Macbook Pro about a week ago and when I place my palm down to the right of the trackpad to type the machine makes a clicking noise. No disk in the drive. For the $ I don't think I should have to worry about it but am not sure if it is a serious problem or not.
  • Jawk Level 1 (0 points)
    So far it seems like its not a problem for me.
  • sheaboye Level 1 (0 points)

I also have the same issue. Very subtle click at certain times. I honestly don't believe it to be a problem.

• idaveb Level 2 (265 points)

My wife and I just got MacBooks (love them) but also heard a clicking noise every minute or so. We timed it and hers clicked every 2 minutes. I thought that some process was reading the drive and had trouble with one sector and the drive would click 4 times. She took her computer in to have the Apple Geniuses look at it. They did not hear the click.

When she got back it clicked again. I had her turn off the sound...no clicks. After investigating, we found out that is was OUTLOOK! It is the sound it makes when it checks for email and there are no new messages. Playing the sound confirmed it and unchecking the box solved it. There were 4 clicks because she had 4 accounts being checked every 2 minutes.

What kind of idiot programmer picks a sound that sounds like a disk problem? Anyway, for some of you this might be the fix.

DB

• Ms.Laks Level 1 (0 points)

Wow, Thanks! I was trying to figure it out. You're right, it is outlook! I get 3 clicks for the three acounts. I just bought the Macbook pro, now i can rest in peace knowing its not some crazy disk problem!

Thanks again!

• ynot151 Level 1 (0 points)

YES its OUTLOOK!

open outlook>prefs>notifications and sounds>(uncheck)  no new mail

And god yes!!!....why would any sound for any program mimic metal talon on hard disk wafer!!!!! DANG!!!

• There Are No Names Left Level 1 (10 points)

OMG YES!!!!

This had been annoying me for ages, was really annoying me.

• ynot151 Level 1 (0 points)

Glad to help, I will be in London in July you can buy me a pint or ten, in thanks.