Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh SE - Strange Sand

I've had my Macintosh SE in a desk cabinet for a few months, so I don't expect it to work anymore. However, when I moved it out of the cabinet something strange became apparent to me. Inside the case, it sounded like there was a lot of what sounded like sand. Also, on the sides of the cabinet were what looked like areas where a liquid had exploded, dried, and left a dusty residue. I think that the CRT screen imploded, but I'm not sure.

I have the tools and the knowledge to open the computer and see what happened, however I'd rather see what everyone here thinks happened before I use my time like that. Thoughts?

(PPC) Desktop G5, 1.8GHz Dual Processors, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 30, 2011 10:57 PM

1 reply

Mar 31, 2011 3:26 PM in response to macintushy

macintushy,

Caution is advised but, if you are careful, you can safely dismantle an all-in-one mac. Here is one site for cautionary reading:

http://www.appleselfrepair.info/emac/crt-discharge.html

The author of this site seems to down play the seriousness of the risks of the high voltage component.

http://lowendmac.com/tech/crt_danger.html

He apparently has not had an employee end up in the emergency room. One of the technicians at a friend's store was thrown several feet and his elbow went through the wall after touching the wrong wire of an SE he thought was discharged.

Having said that, it sounds like the worst thing that could happen has already happened. The Spokane waste to energy plant burns up tvs and crt tubes as the best way to minimize any hazardous waste. Your local disposal methods may vary. If the tube exploded, at best you have a parts machine. At worst, you will get a good education on caution.

Jim

Macintosh SE - Strange Sand

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.