5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2011 11:59 AM by Karsten Schlüter
Jubilee Video Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Hi,

New to this forum, as I'm a recent convert from Avid to Final Cut. Not completely free from my PC projects, but ready to endeavor into my first full length production in Final Cut Express. This will be a Wedding Video of my Daughters Wedding shot back in Nov.

For starters I'd like to say that I will be using several different formats of clips. They range from HD, SD, and old analog that I will convert to SD clips.
I will be using Third party music, and adding effects, color correction, filters to bring balance to the film. It will most likely be under 1 hour, and have multiple menus, chapters of which I will make in iDVD. I will spend hundreds of hours on this production and hope to reduce my roadblocks by acquiring some helpful suggestions.
I am concerned about getting the sequences and project settings correct. Since most of the aspect ratio was shot in 16.9 I will use this codec. What advice can I get based on the information thus far to get the project off to a good start.

I've already captured 90% of all the raw footage from the wedding, over 6 hrs. The HD was imported from a Sony AVCHD showing a frame size of 1920x1080. Second Camera used was a SD Sony VX2100 720x480 and a third Sony TRV-730. The compression setting shows up "Apple Intermediate Codec"
I am a seasoned editor in Avid Pinnacle's Studio Platform and have used it for over 15 years. I feel solid in the PC arena, but like a fish out of water in the Mac world. I am learning and reading and reviewing on line studies to learn the basics of Final Cut. But if the foundation is incorrect as you build the project you only set yourself up for disappointment.

Thanks for any suggestions. Will provide more details as asked
Dan

Thanks in advance

iMac7, 27", 4GB Ram,ATI 5750 graphic,2.92Gh Quad Core i7, 10.6.5
  • 1. Re: Starting a Wedding Project need some advice
    Karsten Schlüter Level 7 Level 7 (29,885 points)
    Jubilee Video wrote:
    ... ready to endeavor into my first full length production in Final Cut Express. This will be a Wedding Video ... using several different formats of clips. ... adding effects, color correction, filters to bring balance to the film.

so, the usual suicide mission of a first-timer project ...
    no, I've read the rest of your post, you're an advanced editor ... but I like to make jokes about those wedding-videos, 'cause MY first project with FC/e was such, and I failed at a paramount degree

... I've already captured 90% of all the raw footage ...

oh, oh ...
    BEFORE 'capturing', ALL material should be converted into final Project's Format! because, FC/e does NOT convert on import ...
    Give the free tool Mpeg Streamclip a try, choose Export to Quicktime/Appleintermediate as codec ...
    capture the resulting .mov, or you get an ennoying 'not rendered' after each 'cut' in FC/e.
    same with stills and audio: convert into a FC/e-friendly format (jpeg or perhaps png/tiff, not more than 4000x4000pix, audio 48kHz/16bit)

Thanks for any suggestions. Will provide more details as asked

get familiar with FC/e's bins and be disciplined in naming each take ... it helps on such projects. or, what I like to do is a 'paper-editing' first: pencil&paper, noting my thoughts what, where, what ... trial'n-error-editing is no good cook in FC/e.
  • 2. Re: Starting a Wedding Project need some advice

so, the usual suicide mission of a first-timer project ...
    no, I've read the rest of your post, you're an advanced editor ... but I like to make jokes about those wedding-videos, 'cause MY first project with FC/e was such, and I failed at a paramount degree

1) I've worked on a few short projects to date.

oh, oh ...
    BEFORE 'capturing', ALL material should be converted into final Project's Format! because, FC/e does NOT convert on import ...

I believe I have all my source video from the event, the rest is in files on my PC from folders that I have generated over the years on my daughter at play, etc. I have yet to transfer these files.

To this issue regarding clips of daughter's childhood, I work on inspiration as the story progresses. I do journal and take notes, I have found this extremely helpful, especially in putting together multi-cam shots of the same scenes. I have my own script sheets I've made to work this issue out. Although I see the notes that you can ascribe to each clip is very extensive, and thus I've made many and can update them as I review the clips. I like this feature in FC/e.

Give the free tool Mpeg Streamclip a try, choose Export to Quicktime/Appleintermediate as codec ...

Where is this available?
    Choosing "Export" to Quicktime/Appleintermediate as codec. When is this done, since my clips that I've "Logged and Captured" from HD Camera are using this AIC
    When I view my clips now in the folders they are quick time movies.

I may need to do this with the SD clips, since they don't show the Quicktime.mov.

capture the resulting .mov, or you get an annoying 'not rendered' after each 'cut' in FC/e.

I have started the project, naming the project, and have the captured video stored on my new G-Raid external 2TB Hard drive. I believe my file structure is correct, saving a few concerns about setting up sequences and matching them to the master clips. I've studied the manual intensely, but the learning curve is as you go.

get familiar with FC/e's bins and be disciplined in naming each take ... it helps on such projects. or, what I like to do is a 'paper-editing' first: pencil&paper, noting my thoughts what, where, what ... trial'n-error-editing is no good cook in FC/e.

I have done this and have learned this in Avid, although they are not called "bins" they are 'files and folders' rather.

ie all but the childhood files that come as the story unfolds or inspiration dictates. I don't always follow a script, most of the time when doing family events it's all heart.
  • 3. Re: Starting a Wedding Project need some advice
    Jubilee Video wrote:
    ... Mpeg Streamclip ...
    Where is this available?

Google kaputt ?
    http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

indeed, if you logged direct from Cam (or SDcard) no need for any manual conversion. my advice was intended for 'other' media, files of 'any' nature, codec and format.

another advice I've forgot, but is a 'classic' here:
    buy a book from FC-Grandmaster *Tom Wolsky*, who gives us the pleasure to participate on this board. he has a very hands-on attitude in explaining things, and although you're an experienced editor, perhaps you find some inspiration and information needed.

one simple thing, which isn't maybe not new for you, is 'nesting' - it makes complex projects more easy to handle.

and another, maybe too simple advice: FC/e comes with pre-installed a >1.400 pgs pdf (in FC/E menu 'Help'), which is fully indexed and searchable ... a bit 'dry' written, but an endless source of (illustrated) info; esp. when you know what you're searching for (as 'nesting')

I assume, the 'transition' from one app to another shouldn't be a prob for you ... maybe a little 'uncomfortable' in the beginning, but no 'new land'.

enjoy your project!
  • 4. Re: Starting a Wedding Project need some advice
    Thanks for the help, and Tom has already come to my aide in other sections. I'd like to see this book review you speak of.

I also have concluded that the file extensions are .mov in the Quicktime Movie format.

There is a noted difference between the codecs as I've reviewed several acessing them thru "Get Info"
    The HD codecs were AICodecs
    The SD codecs were DV/DVCPRO-NTSC 720x480

Your suggestion for the PDF use has already been used. I like that I can footnote underline and make other annotations to the manual. Yes I love it, but it is dry reading at times, so Tom's book could be helpful. How much is it and where do I get information about it. I've seen the reference before but don't recall how to obtain it or how much it cost.

The term "nesting" is that a Mac term? Sorry I'm not sure I understand.

On a final note regarding formats, could this account for the sizing issue of clips when I go to view them in the canvas or the viewer. I have done some very basic clip placements into the sequence (timeline), another issue is learning the different terms that Final Cut applies to the processes and methods of operation. This has caused me more frustration then I need write about. It is far from universal lanuage when working in different platforms by different companies. I'm a mechanic and find the same issues between car manufactors. Most call alternators the same, but when you get into other areas they change-up terms for the same parts, it doesn't even come to mind until you start working on a foriegn car. I suppose the same holds true for editing formats.

I just find that Final Cut has changed almost every term I have learned in Pinnacle studio, I'am learning. The point is that sometimes I have to get the index open in the PDF to get a definition of a term being used or a acronym's used. Sometimes I get a break and the terms are interchangable

Thanks Again,
    Dan
  • 5. Re: Starting a Wedding Project need some advice
    Jubilee Video wrote:
    ... The term "nesting" is that a Mac term? Sorry I'm not sure I understand.

no, that is straight 'editor lingo' - sequences within sequences. if you edit the sub-sequernce, all changes appear in the 'master' sequence. or, while editing the sub-sequence, the master-sequence is 'off'/screen is less cluttered. you'll find it as a searchable keyword in the manual, pgs 571 ff ...

... formats ..

all your imports are within normal parameters ... HDef=AIC, SDef=DV/DVCPRO ... when you combine both in on project, the DV parts require rendering ... this means only in-convenience due to loss of time ...

search amazon for Tom's books ...
    http://www.amazon.com/Final-Cut-Express-Editing-Workshop/dp/0240810775/ref=sr11?ie=UTF8&qid=1301597337&sr=8-1
    is perhaps his latest ... (I don't follow the one 1star review ... )
    as a non-native-english-speaker I confirm, the book is written in a very laid-back, easy to understand, non-theoretically but hands-on tone... I like it.
    (no, I don't get an autographed free copy for that )

I'm pretty sure, Tom's already on writing a book about FC/e5 ... but he's not allowed to tell, nor are we allowed to speculate

+ceterum censeo+ :
    I want Tom's books in a German edition - Tom knows this request, I ask him every year ...