Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari commandeering CPU

So I have a G5 2.0 Dual 2.5Gb Ram etc etc.OS 10.5.8 running Safari 5.0.4, Photoshop, Mail. simultaneously, sometimes other programmes are running also. Usually with no problems
As of late the computer has become increasingly prone to freezing for between 10 -20 seconds and then going on its merry way for a few more minutes. This has happened since the install of Safari 5.0.4.
When I check with Activity Monitor I can see that Safari is using over 50% of the CPU sometimes,even as much as 75%, even up to 97% on one occasion. Safari isn't doing anything it is only open at the Apple homepage, its not downloading or viewing videos just sitting with one page open.
Anyone experiencing the same thing or know of any remedies/ checks that can be done.

As always Thanks in advance.

Mac Pro 2.8 Dual, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 1, 2011 8:29 AM

6 replies

Apr 1, 2011 8:32 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Hi,

As of late the computer has become increasingly prone to freezing for between 10 -20 seconds

Make sure there's enough free disk space.

Right or control click the MacintoshHD icon. Click Get Info. In the Get Info window you will see Capacity and Available. *Make sure you always have a minimum of 15% free disk space.*

Carolyn 🙂

Apr 1, 2011 10:59 AM in response to Eau Rouge

I find Safari 5 doesn't play well with my PowerPC processors any more.

I recently upgraded a fairly fast G4 PowerMac to 10.5.8. Under Tiger, Safari 4.1.3 shows little Safari activity when its idling in the background and, when active, the CPU temps stay in the 95G range. In 10.5, Safari will use 70-90 percent of the CPU cycles even when idling in the background and the CPU temps run to 110-112F. I have no third-party add-ons and run a very lean browser set-up.

FireFox 3.6 and Camino 2.0.7 do not show this behavior under Leopard; they run just as they do under Tiger. I've not found a fix--I think Apple is writing the PPC processor out of Safari.

My fix was to leave Tiger installed on a second internal drive and boot to it for my Safari work, which is most of my browsing.

Safari 5.0.4 in 64-bit mode is a perfect gentleman on my Intel Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo running 10.6.7. No CPU hogging according to Activity Monitor.

Safari commandeering CPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.