Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Python in Xcode 4

I keep reading how Xcode is moving towards OSX native coding, so Java may be getting left behind. What about Python? Should I be looking for a new programming environment for my Py webapps?

I do have a ServerX which runs its Wiki and Blogger webapps in Python. Does this mean Apple is committed to Py for the long haul? Is Python support better in Xcode4 than Xcode3? Any recommendations?

2.4 MBP, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 1983 biodiesel Vanagon

Posted on Apr 1, 2011 1:09 PM

3 replies

Apr 1, 2011 1:22 PM in response to Gnarlodious

Xcode4 doesn't seem to be as good of a general-purpose IDE than Xcode3. You should be able to run both of them. I am now installing Xcode3 into /Xcode3 and letting Xcode4 have /Developer. Xcode3 should continue to work.

No one can answer the question of how "committed" Apple is to Python. Apple seems to try to "go with the flow" these days. If Python remains a vibrant, active community, Apple will likely continue to support it. If people stop talking about Python and move to Ruby, Lua, etc. then Apple will follow. CVS is a case in point. There is nothing wrong with it, but Apple has listened to the fickle masses and dumped it in favor of git and svn.

Python in Xcode 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.