Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wife with iPad vs Husband with Xoom

Ok, someone asked me to post our findings on the side by side comparison of both the iPad (me) vs the Xoom (husband).

There is no general discussion area so I hope it is ok to post here.

I am the Apple Queen. He is the Android King.

Here is what we have so far:

On entering a web address into the URL bar to a site neither of us has visited yet on the mobile devices, both Safari and Terra smoked Google Chrome by loading a min of 20-30 sec faster (often even longer for him).

He has Flash Player, so he gets a point for that. But neither of us has Java for games online, etc. ( more controversial issues I know).

Some of his Apps are free, but most are the same.

The Xoom is as heavy as a brick while the iPad is more like a frisbee 🙂

He was able to replace his native keyboard to a more natural one with arrow keys. I know this a controversial issue but I still miss the arrow keys. I have arthritis and it's a challenge for me to not have them. I plan to go the way of an App to type then copy/paste.

Dragon is free for us and that App is WAY more accurate on the iPad. I use it a lot for writing in lieu of typing.

Each has it's own pros and cons. It's a matter of preference really. He has an Android phone so the Xoom was a better choice due to comfort. He is Apple challenged.

I didn't even consider a Xoom. Hands down I pick the iPad over other tablets any day.

I'll try to add more as we each discover our newest gadgets.

iPad 2 Wifi 32GB, iOS 4

Posted on Apr 1, 2011 3:34 PM

4 replies

Apr 1, 2011 6:47 PM in response to Redsoblue

I am going to go ahead and call BS on your 20-30 seconds loading time. A friend of mine just bought a Xoom and is selling his first gen iPad. On WiFi versus my iPad 2, pages load almost exactly the same. Some pages load faster on my iPad 2 while others load faster on his Xoom. I would say on average it's a tie. There is no way on this planet that pages on the Xoom load 30 seconds slower than on an iPad.

There are things on the Xoom that I love and wish I had on my iPad. I love my iPad and my iPhone, but there are things on them that annoy me. For instance, on the iPhone, it is ALWAYS 73° and sunny. The Xoom can display the current weather as a widget which is nice. I wish Apple could figure out how to dynamically change the temperature on the Weather app icon. If they can do it for the Calendar app to display the current day, then surely they can do it for Weather.

The Xoom is heavier, but not so much that I would feel like I would need to spend 4 months in a gym to use it. It's the first tablet that is a serious contender to the iPad and I wouldn't mind owning both to tell you the truth :] I like having options to tweak and configure the way I want, not the way that Apple has dicated.

Wife with iPad vs Husband with Xoom

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.