Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove missing files?

Tried this:
http://paulmayne.org/blog/2007/11/how-to-remove-broken-or-dead-tracks-from-itune s/

However, I get stuck at creating the smart playlist 'Missing Files'. You cannot add a 'static playlist' (non-smart playlist) to the selection for some reason...

Is there any other way?

BTW, thank you Apple for leaving out another useful feature of one of your products...

Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB White, iOS 4

Posted on Apr 1, 2011 5:24 PM

8 replies

Apr 2, 2011 2:45 AM in response to 25uRabbit

Maybe you can get this version to work:

Using a playlist to collect dead tracks.
Create new regular playlist – Playlist1
Select whole library and drag to Playlist1
Create new Smart Playlist with the rule: Playlist is not Playlist1
Live updating checked – after you run it, uncheck live updating or you may not be able to delete tracks.
This playlist should contain all the dead tracks
Use shift-del to remove from library

This method may not work if your library is very large.

Apr 2, 2011 4:54 AM in response to polydorus

Here's my take on the playlists...

*Lost & Found*
Create a playlist called Found, select everything in Music and drag it into the Found playlist (it may take some time to count the tracks that are to be dropped). Create a smart playlist called Lost matching All the rules *Playlist is Music* and *Playlist is not Found*. Your lost tracks will be in this playlist. You should be able to select all the tracks in this playlist with CTRL-A and then remove them from iTunes with CTRL-SHIFT-DELETE.

However I prefer to use iTunes Folder Watch with its option to *Check for dead tracks on startup* selected.

tt2

Remove missing files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.