Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Drag and Drop in iMovie '11

I just started using this software, and for some reason it won't let me drag and drop video files to my project. I started with flv, then mov, and even mp4. None of them would work. I could import mp4 the long way by going through the menus, but I would much rather drag and drop. has anyone else had this issue?

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Apr 2, 2011 1:44 AM

54 replies

Apr 5, 2011 12:38 AM in response to titamesquita

titamesquita wrote:

So I am dragging and dropping from an event into the project are.
What could be the problem here?

Create a project first: File > New project > Create. You will be asked to choose No Theme/Theme/Movie Trailer.
You should see you blank new project in the Project window.
Select a portion of your event by click/drag to get a yellow border around the part of the video you want in the project.
Now press the E key on your keyboard (same as drag and drop).
That should place that portion of the event into your project.
Z.

Apr 4, 2011 2:20 AM in response to Diziala

The same is happening to me! I upgraded to iMovie '11 thinking that this would solve the problem but no luck. My iMovie does not behave according to the tutorial. When I drag a clip into the 'drag and drop' area, the theme selection window pops-up asking to choose a theme and create a project. I name a project and click create and nothing happens. Drag and drop area keeps empty and no new project seems to be created.

Someone please help! Right now I feel extremely frustrated that I purchased a software that does not work at all.

Apr 4, 2011 3:01 AM in response to titamesquita

Where are you trying to drag and drop from?
I'm getting the feeling reading the first question that it is from outside of iMovie.
First you need to import your video files into iMovie either directly from your camera or from your computer (iMovie > File Import > Movies...).
They obviously must be in a file compatible format.
You will end up with your video files in iMovie's Event library.
Next create a project (File > New Project).
Then you drag selected portions from your Events into your Project - from the lower screen to the upper screen.
Is that what is happening?

Aug 31, 2011 7:15 PM in response to Diziala

Hey ya'll I just figured this out! I had scanned a bunch of photos for a wedding video. I then cropped them and changed the resolution in Photoshop and saved them all. When I went to save them, there was a box checked in Photoshop that said something like "Make photo available in Photoshop Organizer" For some reason when that box is checked, the file DOES NOT save with a .JPEG extension. So when I was naming a file "57" and choosing the "save as JPEG" option, it was saving as a JPEG but wasn't CALLED "57.jpeg" That's why I couldn't drop and drag them.

I found out by opening the properties boxes of a photo I could drag and a photo I couldn't drag and going through all the details. SO FRUSTRATING but I hope this helps someone else!!! Good Luck!!!

Oct 3, 2011 8:38 AM in response to Diziala

I have the same problem and have used iMovie11 on a few projects before, but not recently, but this problem suddenly seems to happen for me. I create an event and import videos, then have to select videos and drag into a project I create, right?

That just scrolls down the event videos and drags nothing into the project. The preview plays the videos in the events, the projects area has apparently become redundant. Either I'm missing something or the app has gone wrong in some way.

Can't Drag and Drop in iMovie '11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.