Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP! How do I make a tilde (~) over an N?

I have searched everywhere on line and cannot figure out how to make a tilde over an n for the Spanish n. Tilde is option n...but when the letter is an n what do I do?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6), iMac Intel

Posted on Apr 2, 2011 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2011 8:40 AM

Ñ and ñ

Its a bit tricky but here's what you need to do

1. Hold option + N = it will make a tilde
2. Then press N again
17 replies

Nov 11, 2015 8:56 PM in response to noondaywitch

On Mavericks it seems to not have the options:

Use the keyboard viewer; most diacritical marks and many standard symbols are available direct from the keyboard.

System prefs > Language and text > input sources. Tick the box for keyboard and character viewer, tick the box for 'show input menu in menu bar'

The other options related to Keyboard don't seem to produce the desired result. I realize your post is around 5 years old, so probably things have changed... is there a way to use keyboard viewer in Mavericks? The Option-n then n do work OK for me.

HELP! How do I make a tilde (~) over an N?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.