Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime does not plya midi songs in any web browser!

For long time i was looking for an solution to this.
running the lastest mac os x (10.6.7) and QT web browser plugin does not play mid/mid/. (in my case, in chat rooms) What's happen?

i've try to run the browsers in 32 bit mode and no solution.

Here's the page that share this midis files: www.lindmidis.net

Thanks

iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2 Ghz | Mac mini (G4 1.5 Ghz) 512 RAM..., Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 2, 2011 8:57 AM

29 replies

Apr 2, 2011 9:30 AM in response to JoeYbr

I couldn't get any files to load in any browser.
I downloaded some of the files and they refused to play in QuickTime Player or open in QuickTime X.
VLC (free download) did play the files but showed the codec as Windows Media. This is also evident in the file sizes. Typical MIDI files measure in KB's but the files at your link are over a MB in size.

http://free.mididb.com/

Files at this site worked as expected in QuickTime Player.

Apr 2, 2011 9:45 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

In Windows IE, this midis from this page play with WMP codec, and the songs has voice too (normal song).
I wondered, Flip4mac will play? No, nothing.

And yeah! it work directly in webpage, one play bottom showed and the songs run with voice. (with windows IE), in OS 9 and Tiger it works i remember.

i'll have to install and windows emulator or buy an PC to have this

Apr 2, 2011 10:07 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

I couldn't get any files to load in any browser.

As already pointed out, these files are WMA. More importantly, they are in an ASF file container. If you want them to play in your browser and this is the OP's own web site, then the OP should simply rename the files correctly so they will open in QT Player or QT browser plug-in properly. As an example, I have uploaded a re-named file from the original site here.

http://idisk.me.com/jrwalker4-Public/AdrianaMezzadri_-_PrimaveraIluminada.asf/

User uploaded file

Apr 2, 2011 10:20 AM in response to JoeYbr

That's what I'm talking about! But in my case the files are .midi. Now what?

The files are not MIDI files. They are encoded as "Windows Media Audio Std v.2 - DivX audio v2" data in an "ASF (Active Streaming Format)" file container. When QT looks at the files it sees that the file extension (".mid") does not match the file "header/handler" data stored in the file. When this happens, the QT player won't open the file and the QT browser plug-in displays a question mark to tell you that it doesn't know what to do. If you want the files to play correctly on a Mac, then the ".mid" file extension must be changed to ".asf" to avoid confusing QT software.

User uploaded file

Apr 2, 2011 11:30 AM in response to JoeYbr

A Web browser uses "plug-ins" to help with some file formats. They read the file extension or the page code to help the visitor get the most from the page.
Your link uses the .mid file extension but no HTML code to properly call any browser plug-in so it is up to each visitors settings to help open the files.
The .mid file extension is set to QuickTime for most Mac users. Since the files aren't really MIDI files the QuickTime browser plug-in is called but can't properly play them. This is why the browser displays the icon for QuickTime and a question mark.
Flip4Mac plug-in also uses HTML code to call QuickTime but in this case it can't open the files because of the .mid file extension.

Apr 2, 2011 11:59 AM in response to JoeYbr

O de sempre, incompatibilidade entre Windows e Mac.

Not really. The Mac player is built around specific standards and adhering to them. Windows media players simply tend to ignore such standards--not caring if the content is in a program stream or a transport stream, if there are timecode breaks or not, don't care whether files are "properly" terminated or not, etc. In this case, whoever posted the files was less than honest about the compression format and the type of file container--in a sense lying to the multimedia player. While Windows players may ignore this discrepancy, QT does not. It is a difference in philosophy, basically, and one which many non-Apple users find disturbing or difficult to understand.

User uploaded file

Apr 2, 2011 11:58 AM in response to Jon Walker

Understood! I'm using Mac for 15 years.

Yet let it not be an incompatible between operating systems, so much so that we know exists as plugins (Flip4Mac, just trying to do something a tin work in another.) trying to resolve the different "philosophies". Philosophy with mathematics coexist together? : D I'm bored or those things, but I'm not technical, I admit. But I appreciate the post and attention.

Quicktime does not plya midi songs in any web browser!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.