Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

edge-on lines

I'm doing a tutorial, trying to learn Motion 4. I've advanced to 3D and "cameras" but I'm having a little (hopefully little) problem. In the tutorial, when looking at top and side views there is what's called an "edge-on line" that indicates the location of flat objects when viewed edgewise. I don't seem to have edge-on lines.
When I choose either of my two layers (background video or text), I get handles and a bounding box but when neither is chosen, I get nothing. I can't find any settings, the Motion manual doesn't give me any clues and the tutorial is no help.
Can anyone help?
TIA,
Peter

MacPro 12 Core, MacPro Quad Core, MacBook Air, 2 17" MBP and one very old 17" PB, Mac OS X (10.6.6), All told, 30 TB of mismanaged storage

Posted on Apr 2, 2011 5:00 PM

12 replies

Apr 4, 2011 3:02 PM in response to petemay

Hey Pete...Jay Cederholm here...just happened to come across your post.

I know what you mean by the edge on lines. I often use the perspective view to help me see where things are in 3D space. When you first switch to perspective view it will look the same as the active camera view. Use the pan, orbit, dolly tools in the upper right of the canvas to finesse a view that you like.

Try it out and let me know if this helps....

Apr 4, 2011 9:07 PM in response to jay at plum moving media

Jay! It's been a while! Thanks for responding. I know I can use perspective to get an angle on the layers and see them but, at least in the tutorial I'm doing, they show a bright, white line that indicates the position of the layers when you're in the top, bottom, left or right views. I don't have them. I looked them up in the Motion manual and they're called edge-on lines. The manual names them and says why they're there (to help one see the position of layers in views when the layers, being infinitesimally thin, would not be technically be visible) but it doesn't say anything about turning them on or off. So, my question to you, or to anyone is, do you see edge-on lines when you're looking at layers from top, bottom, left or right or do you have to use perspective to see your layers?

Apr 4, 2011 9:10 PM in response to Andy Neil

@Andy,
Thanks for responding! Like I said, I'm just beginning to learn Motion so, off hand, I couldn't answer whether I had any lights on. If I did it would have been by accident since I'm just at the point of applying the two layers - video and text - and then looking at them using the various camera angles. Just in case I'd messed something up and added lights I tried the OPT+L keys but nothing happened. I still don't have edge-on lines. Weird ... I guess.
Thanks again for responding.
Pete

Apr 5, 2011 9:33 PM in response to BenB

I have two displays, one set at 2569 x 1440 and the other 1920 x 1200.
The tutorial is the "Creative Cow Master Series - Stephen Smith's Moving WIth Motion: A Professional's Guide." The tutorial is specifically for Motion 4. The tutorial is not controlling my computer in any way. It's just a DVD with teaching projects and examples.
In this specific instance the tutorial called for placing two elements on the screen; a piece of video and some text. The entire project is in 3D mode. The text is offset from the video by 150 in the Z-Axis. If I look at the two elements in the perspective view I can indeed see both the video at Zero on the Z-Axis and the text at 150 on the Z-Axis. When I move to the top, bottom, left or right views, those elements disappear. The Apple Motion Manual tells me that when I move to the top, bottom, left or right views that I will see what they call edge-on lines. The manual states that edge-on lines are added by Motion to indicate the positions of screen elements that, technically have no width and would therefore be invisible when viewed edge-on. My problem is, +I don't have edge-on lines+ and I don't understand why. My screen elements are indeed invisible in the top, bottom, left or right views.
Do you or +does anybody else get edge-on lines+ in similar circumstances? If you have a some video and some text and you move to the top, bottom, left or right views, do you see those elements or do they disappear in all but the perspective view?

Apr 6, 2011 2:32 AM in response to petemay

I don't have you problem, and I can't recreate it. I strongly suggest you get in touch with the author if the tutorial and ask him about it, since you're using a very project specific question. The project file itself can have preference settings that don't jive with your monitor set up and resolution.

And also get the APTS book....

Mixing graphic cards and monitor settings is not good to do with Motion.

I always see "edge on" lines, no problem. But then, I have a very specific monitor set up (FSI 24" w/Kona LHi, and Apple 30").

Aug 31, 2011 3:55 AM in response to petemay

Hi,

I'm running into the same problem: I'm not seeing the edge-on lines of objects either. (I.e. the line that is drawn when an object's edge is exactly facing the camera, which normally results in an invisible object).

Has anyone figured out yet how to do this?

Enabling both "Show 3D Overlays" and "Show 3d scene icons" don't show them on my setup.

Ad

Jan 17, 2013 9:00 AM in response to petemay

Hi Petemay (and AvDiem),

I'm not sure you're still interested, as it was quite a while ago, but i had this same problem and resolved it.

The issue arises whe you change the blend mode of a group (or reduce its opacity, thus changing the blend mode)

to anything from pass through. All the layers within the group then cease to show the edge-on lines.

You'll notice which groups are affected as the group icon will have a box arround it.

Hope this helps.

AlexJ

edge-on lines

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.