Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete magazine downloads?

I subscribe to the Economist magazine and download each edition to my ipad. How do I delete old copies as I suspect they are starting to take up my storage space and I'm getting messages saying I am short of memory?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 3, 2011 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2011 7:55 AM

Assuming that it's The Economist on iPad app, then from their website ( http://www.economist.com/help/helpipad#managesto)c:

+To delete an issue you've downloaded, please:+

+•Open the app to view the Library screen (which displays all available issue covers)+
+•Locate the issue you'd like to delete and tap and hold its cover+
+•Tap the X on the upper left corner to delete the issue+
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2011 7:55 AM in response to rjs17

Assuming that it's The Economist on iPad app, then from their website ( http://www.economist.com/help/helpipad#managesto)c:

+To delete an issue you've downloaded, please:+

+•Open the app to view the Library screen (which displays all available issue covers)+
+•Locate the issue you'd like to delete and tap and hold its cover+
+•Tap the X on the upper left corner to delete the issue+

Jun 4, 2011 11:03 PM in response to rjs17

I don't know if King Penguin actually tried the solution with the Economist app but it doesn't work for me with an iPod touch. I tap and hold as suggested by the Ec'ist help page and it has no effect. The app is also failing to download successfully as others have reported. Anybody else had this problem and found a solution that worked for them?

Nov 27, 2016 3:55 PM in response to a_barbe

a_barbe_, I don't seem to have that problem anymore: on my iPad The Economist app is taking up 358MB, and on the iPhone it's 168MB. I don't remember if I did anything to change this. For what it's worth:

• iOS and Economist apps are all up to date.
  • In the past year and a half - since I made the post above - I've got a newer iPad and a newer iPhone. So maybe my old devices would still have the problem, and for whatever reason it didn't move over to the new devices.
  • In the Economist app, under Settings (the gear icon) / Storage, I've set it to auto-delete issues after 1 month.
  • I don't really trust the auto-delete - I try to make sure to delete every issue after I finish reading it, so usually I've just got one downloaded issue in the app.
  • I remember at one point I went way back through my the issues - as in, a couple of years - and discovered a few scattered issues that hadn't auto-deleted. But I can't remember if that made a difference to the basic memory consumption problem.

Perhaps your best bet is to delete the app off your iPhone entirely, and then reinstall it and sign in again. That will probably get rid of whatever cruft is taking up 1GB.

How to delete magazine downloads?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.