Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java SE 6 on PPC (Mac 10.5.8)?!?

I want to be able to use Netbeans on my PowerMac, but it requires Java6. I can't seem to find the Java 6 SDK for PPC anywhere. Please help, this machine is not dead yet, it's still kicking, why does apple drop software support so quickly (especially for an expensive piece of hardware like this machine.)

Message was edited by: emrecio

Power Mac G5 1.8 DP (PCI) Specs (M9454LL/A), MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 3, 2011 7:47 AM

3 replies

Apr 3, 2011 10:58 AM in response to emrecio

See Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 1 adds support for Java SE 6. Note the system requirements exclude PPC machines.

Apple does not drop software support, however, they stop updating older versions because the requirements of new software exceed what older hardware can provide. This is simply the result of obsolescence. Your version of OS X is capable of supporting Java SE 6, but your hardware is not able to run that software.

If it's essential that you be able to run new versions of software that have requirements that exceed what you hardware or OS can support, then you have to upgrade accordingly. Sell your PPC machine or donate it to a reputable charity or local school/church. Then buy a new machine that can run the software you wish to use.

Java SE 6 on PPC (Mac 10.5.8)?!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.