Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible or Not?

I have a work email on (Mail for MAC) and is it possible to sync or get that email account to be viewed at home I have Mail for Mac as well? My work is not Wi-Fi and it runs on ethernet and a few servers over a few similar businesses in surrounding towns. Any suggestions to hook up work email at home. I've written down the settings in my preferences at work and brought that home and it don't work. Give me any help to work with. Please

Mac, Mac OS X (10.5), Mail

Posted on Apr 3, 2011 9:11 AM

9 replies

Apr 4, 2011 2:05 PM in response to justbgraphics

Hi
Firstly put a decent subject on your posts so that people can assess whether they can help or not. "Possible or Not?" is a meaningless title.

Next, mail doesnt reside in a central location, but on your indivual Mac. You can't 'view' it unless you network the machines. That's one topic.

Since most email is POP3 standard (you can use IMAP< you dont say which) it is always downloaded to the machne you read it on. Thats a second topic.

If you have two different machines and log in to your email at different times, they will download and have different emails on them. Unless you use an ISP setting that says to 'leave mail on server'. That way every location that logs in will get the sme mail. Will that matter- you need to consider- each machine will only have its own sent messages; your ISP mailbox limit and services expiry etc.

Which path would you like to take? If you do not understand then a call to your ISP to help you set up email would benefit further.
regards dave

Apr 5, 2011 1:36 PM in response to rhone1

First, Excuse me about the subject... by being in this forum you should already know that we are talking about Mail or Address Book - On Tiger for Mac.,

Second, if mail was like any other e-mail service you should be able to check mail anywhere, from any machine.

Now, on my work machine it is a POP account... You say, "If you have two different machines and log in to your email at different times, they will download and have different emails on them." how is this possible if... 1. Yes, My work Mail account is authorized for sending and receiving email. 2. My home Mail account has not been even set up once. Even though I've tried...
Here are my settings for work so you know what I see...

Account type:POP
Description: Work
Email: appleguy (at) nexus (dot) com <Edited by Host>
Full Name: Work
Incoming Mail Server: 192.X.X.100
Username: appleguy
Password: ****
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): 192.X.X.100

Incoming and outgoing servers appear to be the same. Now what are some more of your suggestions?

Apr 5, 2011 2:10 PM in response to BDAqua

Hello, Thanks for being more considerate....
I wish I could follow your suggestions, but I can not try it because I cant not get past the Welcome screen to mail for the first time.... where you setup your email account for that first time.... Now, As I think I had stated I want to work on my work at home and accessing my apple Mail account from home is vital. Listed below are my settings I wrote down from my work and brought home to add to my same program (Mail for apple) and am wondering what am I doing wrong.... Even if you don't know, let me know, so I am not waiting for a response. Thanks.

Account type:POP
Description: Work
Email: xxxx@nexus.com
Full Name: Work
Incoming Mail Server: 192.X.X.100
Username: xxxxx
Password: ****
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): 192.X.X.100

Incoming and outgoing servers appear to be the same. Now what are some more of your suggestions?

< Edited by Host >

Apr 5, 2011 2:24 PM in response to BDAqua

Well, I was here when my account was set up. As I watched it being set up. I did see that there were different Account types such as POP and IMAP. Now, would it matter if I switched my work Email to IMAP? Would I still be able to get all of my incoming email? If my work email is able to be switched to IMAP, in theory, I would just have to switch my "account type at home to IMAP as well? then it might work?

Apr 5, 2011 2:47 PM in response to justbgraphics

IMAP is much better for multiple locations, & safety also, as it's always on the Server.

At work, first Add a new IMAP account, you can't change account types, one it is setup for the New IMAP account you can drag the messages from the POP account folders to the proper IMAP folders, then disable the POP account.

To be safe you may want to archive/backup your work account before starting...

On Mail...

First Quit Mail, then I'd backup these two Mail folders, by right clicking on them in the Finder, then choose Archive/Compress.

Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail

Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail Downloads

(Could be a different folder here if you chose such in Mail Prefs)

Right click on that Mail folder, choose archive, you'll get everything in the folder, and the folder itself in a file called Mail.zip, move it to a safe place, same for the Mail Downloads folder... only the plist is separate.

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

For Address Book, quit AB...

Files...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AddressBook.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AddressBook.abd.plist

Folders...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Caches/com.apple.AddressBook/

Apr 5, 2011 8:45 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua -
I've been trying to work on your suggestion. This is the message that I get...

"Trying to log into the IMAP server “192.33.60.100” has failed. Please make sure the username and password are correct. If you continue, you may not be able to receive any email."

Now, I tried ignoring that message and went on.... Currently I have two emails with the exact same settings EXCEPT one is a POP Account and the other is an IMAP Account. From now on lets refer to each account by POP or IMAP Account, and the description changed to: "New IMAP"

I also want to point out there was another error that occurred with the IMAP account. There was a little circle with a little sideways- lightning bolt to the right of INBOX tab and that toolbar on the right when MAIL is displayed.

When I click on this sideways- lightning bolt a message appears stating....

"Enter Password for account "New IMAP".......The IMAP server “192.33.60.100” rejected the password for user “New IMAP”

Please re-enter your password, or cancel.

I tried entering in my password... and a few seconds later the box appears again.

I know for a fact there is nothing wrong with my email address, my user name, or my password because I use them every day. So I am guessing it has to deal with going from POP to IMAP. Any new suggestions with this new information?

As I just stated all data stated the same between the 2 accounts. The only thing that changed was POP was changed to IMAP, and decription to "new IMAP", because I couldn't have the same description for 2 email accounts.

Please keep helping. I am hopeful now! Thanks!

Possible or Not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.