Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to edit photo with sunset in background

I had a person on the beach take the photo of us without the fill flash on, so we were in shadows. I adjusted, and now we can be seen fairly well, but the sun in the background is really overexposed. Is there an easy way to fix this?
thanks
Laura
oh and is there a way to Merge 2 photos like in photoshop elements? I have 2 photos of us where one of us is not smiling but the other photo is better.
thanks

27" Intel Core i3 iMac, 3.2 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 4GB mem, 1TB hd, ATI Radeon HD 5670

Posted on Apr 3, 2011 10:50 AM

4 replies

Apr 3, 2011 11:09 AM in response to Laura Drew1

The only way to do the merge you mentioned in the second question is to use a 3rd party editor like PSE. With PSE you can do advanced editing like this:

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

Which might be a possible solution to your first question, i.e. replace the entire background with one where the sun is not over exposed or not there at all.

There are other image editors that can handle layers but PSE, IMO, is way ahead of them. And a lot of that opinion is based on the fact that I'm very familiar with PSE and PS (so it's a bit biased).

You can use the latest version of PSE in demo mode for 20 days.

Have you tried using the Retouch tool in iPhoto to remove the sun entirely? With the diameter of the tool set to the largest size it might work.

User uploaded file

Apr 3, 2011 11:31 AM in response to Laura Drew1

You need to find a photo with a sky background that is big enough to fill the one that you to replace. I go online and look of some large sky images.

Then use the Quick Selection Tool in PSE to select the over exposed background in the photo and delete it. It's the same process I use in this video screenshot to select specific areas of the photo to desaturate:

User uploaded file

Click to view video screenshot

Although this was done in Photoshop, Photoshop Elements has the same Quick Selection Too.

Once you remove the background open the new background image and drag it into the first image. Make sure the sky layer is behind/below the other image's layer.

how to edit photo with sunset in background

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.