Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Organizing imported pictures ...

Hi,

In iPhoto 9, when importing new pictures in iPhoto, they were added as a new event at the end of the event window. It was reasonable since that event was chronologically after all the other events.

In iPhoto 11, the new events are added at the beginning of the event window instead. How can I configured that for the new events to be added chronologically at the end of the event window ?

Regards.

Robert Lespérance
Québec, Canada

Joyful owner of an iMac Intel ... Fast as light !!! !!!!, Mac OS X (10.6.6), iMac Intel - 3,06 GHZ - 21" - 12.0 Go

Posted on Apr 3, 2011 3:44 PM

11 replies

Apr 4, 2011 8:36 AM in response to stedman1

Hi Stedman,

My events are organized manually like in iPhoto 9. In iPhoto 9 all new events were added at the end of the other events while in iPhoto 11 there are added at the beginning.

Many events created by iPhoto are not events. I put all those pictures in an event that I call «Non event», leaving only real events in the list. It was easier for new events to be added at the end because, the most recent event were at the end even if I managed them manually. This is probably a new feature in iPhoto 11 ... I will have to find another work around for this problem.

Is there a way for pictures not to be included in a specific event ?

Regards.

Apr 4, 2011 9:02 AM in response to Robert Lesperance

My events are organized manually like in iPhoto 9.

Yet your question was:
How can I configured that for the new events to be added chronologically at the end of the event window ?

if you want them organized manually then that is what you have - there is no documented position for adding events in manual organization and that is subject to change with new updates

If you want them chronologically then the sort events is the documented way to accomplish that

In iPhoto 9 all new events were added at the end of the other events while in iPhoto 11 there are added at the beginning.

Since this is not a documented feature there is no expectation of it being consistent from update to update

Many events created by iPhoto are not events. I put all those pictures in an event that I call «Non event», leaving only real events in the list. It was easier for new events to be added at the end because, the most recent event were at the end even if I managed them manually.

Suggest to Apple - iphoto menu ==> provide iPhoto feedback

This is probably a new feature in iPhoto 11 ... I will have to find another work around for this problem.

Is there a way for pictures not to be included in a specific event ?

No Events are where photos actually live and all photos must be in an event

Simply forget the name "event" and call them buckets - or anything else - Apple just choose to call them events for marketing purposes - they are simply time based buckets by default - you can call them what ever you want and redo their contents as your heart desires

LN

Apr 4, 2011 9:36 AM in response to LarryHN

Thank you both ... I understand your replies. Since Apple calls them events, it maybe a good idea to be consistent and use them that way.

Pictures often have no reason for being an event, like photos taken at the grocery or on the road, or for pictures that have no chronological sense and that are just informative or as a reminder. These pictures make more sense by being categorized as albums, not events. In my point of vue, by keeping all pictures as events, iPhoto creates many events that are not relevant. I will make a feature request for this.

Thanks for your help.

Apr 4, 2011 10:54 AM in response to Robert Lesperance

Since Apple calls them events, it maybe a good idea to be consistent and use them that way.

Why? It's just a marketing term. They could have called them Shoeboxes, or even, folders. What Apple decided doesn't matter. It's what you need to do is what matters.

I have many "Events" with names like 'Spring 07' or 'Nov 08 - Feb 09' because that's what my organisation system needs, regardless of what Apple calls them. For me, an Event is a folder of pics, and no more. There is not reason why you can't have an Event called 'Grocery' or 'Road'

Regards

TD

Apr 4, 2011 11:17 AM in response to Yer_Man

I understand your point ... and I thank you for taking the time to share your point of view.

But like you said, I am trying to have iPhoto fit my needs. I have many many group of pictures that are not relevant when hidden within 500 other events. Some time I prefer them organized in a nested folder way, so I create an album instead and organize them by topics accordingly. For these cases, «buckets», as you call them, are not relevant in the event gallery.

For me, the events gallery serves perfectly it's purpose when organized chronologically, letting me go through souvenirs in the order they occurred. I have so many items in the event gallery, that, for me, the only coherent way to organized them is chronologically.

Regards.

Apr 7, 2011 6:25 AM in response to LarryHN

Since this is not a documented feature there is no expectation of it being consistent from update to update

So it can be inconsistent just because it is not documented? How about an expectation based on the fact that its lack of consistency is extremely annoying, confusing and difficult for users? How does an undocumented inconsistency in an update make iPhoto better?

I am not very happy that I have sorted my events manually over the years, mostly (but not entirely) chronologically with new events down the bottom because that's where they always appeared and now I am left with these very poor choices:
1. Sort them strictly chronologically and lose years of manual sorting
2. Drag newly imported events through thousands of photos all the way down to the bottom
3. Revert back to a previous version of iPhoto and "Suggest to Apple - iphoto menu ==> provide iPhoto feedback" then wait until it gets documented and consistent (if ever)

Organizing imported pictures ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.