Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 MBP 13" using external DVD drive for Bootcamp

I am trying to install Windows 7 on my bootcamp partition via an external Samsung Slim Drive (I swapped my internal with another hard drive). Boot camp assistant recognizes the drive and windows disk in OSX and sets it as boot volume prior to rebooting.

PROBLEM: After reboot, my mac hangs at a DOS-like screen with a blinking underscore as if waiting for user input (which it doesn't allow). I've installed many times using this method, but this is the first time using the 2011 macbook pro. So I assume there may be an issue with the chipset or something?

I should also note that it *does show* up as bootable when I hold the alt/option key during boot.

Message was edited by: Jay Blongz

Message was edited by: Jay Blongz

MacBook Pro 2011, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 3, 2011 4:42 PM

4 replies

Apr 11, 2011 2:03 PM in response to Jay Blongz

I have the same problem on a 15 inch 2011 model. Tried 4 different external optical drives and multiple installation DVDs but I get the same blinking cursor. Can anyone give a difinitive answer if Windows 7 can be installed to BootCamp via an external optical drive on a 2011 MBP? Clearly it can be done using a MacBook Air since they sell the drive to do so but I'm beginning to think it can't be done on a Pro. In which case I'll be installing the internal drive back inside to get the BootCamp installed.

May 15, 2011 3:50 PM in response to Jay Blongz

I've researched this problem heavily and I think I've found the definitive answer.

The 2011 MBP will not install via bootcamp using ANY external device. Also reFIT does not work either, so don't waste your time there. At least it didnt' work for me.

The only way to install Win7 is with an internal disc drive, since that isn't possible I came up with an alternative.

What I did was install Win7 via bootcamp on another Mac machine, used WinClone to clone the Win7 partition, then I took that clone and transferred it to my MBP.

This method worked perfectly.

Jun 16, 2011 11:43 PM in response to MrX8503

I am having the same problem (my macbook in 2 years old though) as my dvd drive isn't working. So I was thinking of using an external drive to boot and install Windows and landed onto this page from google search result page.

But your solution looks great and I'll try this today. Just one concern, what about the master boot record. Will pasting an image update that too and my macbook will recognize the bootcamp partition having another OS ?

2011 MBP 13" using external DVD drive for Bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.