Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail recipient gets phishing warning from Mail on MacBook Pro but not iPod

I'm hoping someone has run into this problem:
I have a friend I'm corresponding with - he tells me that every one of my emails comes into his PC with a Phishing warning. But get this: last night I responded to an email from him on my iPod, and he said there was no warning.

I am running Sophos Anti-Virus on my MacBook Pro (scanned and updated regularly), using the same gmail account synced on the MacBook and the iPod, and not using MobileMe. Any ideas?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 4, 2011 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2011 7:48 AM

This is probably related to your use of Rich Text Format, and perhaps an over aggressive filter. Take one of the messages you have sent him, in the Sent mailbox, open, click on Message in the menubar, choose Send Again, but before doing so, click on Format in the menubar, and choose Make Plain Text. Let us know how he receives that?

Ernie
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2011 7:48 AM in response to wyochick

This is probably related to your use of Rich Text Format, and perhaps an over aggressive filter. Take one of the messages you have sent him, in the Sent mailbox, open, click on Message in the menubar, choose Send Again, but before doing so, click on Format in the menubar, and choose Make Plain Text. Let us know how he receives that?

Ernie

Apr 4, 2011 9:27 AM in response to wyochick

Great! Could you send me a similar message with RTF to those you sent with RTF? I would like to see if by any chance your Sophos is placing any warning header in the message when you send. My address can be found by clicking on my name to the left, and looking in the bio line of the resulting Profile.

I don't trust Sophos, as I recently helped someone else, and we found that Sophos, without warning, was actually modifying attachment files he received, stripping away images and links.

Ernie

Apr 4, 2011 1:09 PM in response to wyochick

Thanks -- while Sophos, in one of the headers, is rating your message, I don't think that rating is problematic. The issue with the recipient probably was simply the RTF vs Plain Text. If you want to see the difference in more dramatic display, open each of the message with a double-click, then on View/Message and choose Raw Source. With them side by side, you can see the extra coding in the one with RTF.

Ernie

mail recipient gets phishing warning from Mail on MacBook Pro but not iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.