Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Font Size in Apple Mail Program

Don't know if this is a bug, but there doesn't appear to be a way to change the default size of email messages, that is, the message body. When I go into Fonts & Color under preferences, and select Message Font, and change the message font size, all that changes is the size of the Message header, that is, the From, Subject, Date, and To fields. I want to actually make ALL MESSAGES, by default, much larger. Each time I open a message, I have to Press the Apple/Command Key and Equal key, to make the message body larger. Is this a bug with Apple Mail, or is there a way to fix this? Thanks. David

Message was edited by: David Lyell

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 4, 2011 8:46 AM

11 replies

Apr 4, 2011 12:05 PM in response to David Lyell

The *Message font* is actually just a default message font. If font size and other attributes are specified in an HTML message, they take precedence. You can set minimum HTML font size this way via Terminal. That will apply to all HTML messages.

Also make sure that you either disable the *Use fixed-witdth font for plain text messages* or adjust the *Fixed-width font* size as well (both options are in Mail's Fonts & Colors preferences).

Sep 9, 2012 3:30 AM in response to simarron

simarron wrote:

I think you're right. I also face the same problem. I want my reciepient to view my email as time new roman 12, but this format is too small on mail for myself to type and see. Is there any way to fix this. Thanks in advance.

You set the font size in Mail preferences to suit your own needs. That does not affect what the recipient sees. To do that you have to select your text in the New Message pane and reset the font to TNR 12, if that is what you want to go out.

Jan 19, 2016 3:28 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Why do you want to dictate font size to your recipient. Unless you know the hardware that the recipient has, and the condition of their eye-sight, you should let the recipient choose a font size. For me, when I receive HTML messages, the font is ALWAYS too small. Please just use plain text until somebody creates an HTML editor that leaves font size unspecified.

Font Size in Apple Mail Program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.