Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not much of a difference using Qmaster?

I setup a virtual cluster on my 2011 MacBook Pro 2.2GHz with 3 instances to encode a 30-minute ProRes LT file (720p) to iPad size.

With the cluster it took 54:35 to complete...and without it, 59:34.
Not much of a difference.

Could someone explain if I'm doing something wrong?
Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15" (early 2011) 2.2GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 4GB RAM

Posted on Apr 4, 2011 8:19 AM

11 replies

Apr 4, 2011 9:10 AM in response to Joaquin Elizondo

You need to go back and look at the manual. You have only two cores, and yet you set for three instances. You're not going to see any improvement--It's designed to make use of "extra" cores, and you should always reserve some for the computer's normal operations. You'd use it if you were on a Mac Pro with lots of cores, or attached to a network where you could utilize extra "unused" cores from other machines. You have nothing extra and you've set to many instances in the first place.

Apr 4, 2011 10:05 AM in response to Joaquin Elizondo

2011 2.2Ghz is a quad core MBP, set only 3 instances, correct.

Not all codecs can take advantage of QuickClusters. H.264 is not a multi-threaded codec, so be sure Job Segmenting is checked in the Inspector. Also, it won't use the QuickCluster unless it's a minimum of 2 minutes in duration.

"Apple Pro Training Series: Compressor 3.5", it really is a must have book.

Apr 19, 2011 1:56 PM in response to Joaquin Elizondo

Another Very large thing to do with speed is going to be read and write speeds of your storage, wherever that is... you may not see much of a speed increase if you're connected to a USB 1.1 (or even 2 depending on number of machines) you could quickly cap the bandwidth of the USB line before reaching a quarter of your box's potential.

Another thing... I disagree with "leaving a core open" to handle other things.... I mean sure theoretically your laptop might bog down if you start to surf the web or something, but if you're anything like me; you get up let the computer do it's thing, watch a movie, get a nice cold drink, mow the lawn.. etc.... Put that sucker to 4 cores and see what happens, also make sure you have good ventallation too for your laptop will keep temps down.. heat slows your computer down a loottt (unless you're running an athlon in which case they push till they burn.. but I don't think any of us apple people have to worry about that)

Anyways using Firewire 800 or eSATA provides for faster read and writing 🙂

Cheers

Not much of a difference using Qmaster?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.