Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to download a pre order in iBooks

I don't understand how downloading a pre ordered book in iBooks is supposed to work. I got an email that the book was now available and it said "click here to download your pre order now." When I clicked the link in Mail on my Mac, it launched iTunes but nothing was downloaded (I didn't even think you could download a book except on the iPad). I also tried clicking the link in the email from my iPad, but it opens the iTunes (music) store instead of iBooks. The book also did not show in my Purchases.

I finally, out of sheer frustration, navigated to the book in the iBooks store and manually downloaded it, but I'm curious - is that how a pre-order is supposed to work? What did I miss? Or is it a bug?

Message was edited by: tincha

MBP 15", Mac OS X (10.6.6), IPad, IPhone 4, 4GB Nano

Posted on Apr 4, 2011 9:16 PM

9 replies

Nov 23, 2011 2:20 PM in response to tincha

I'm having this exact same problem. My mother pre-ordered Janet Evanovich book on her ipad.
She received an email stating her pre-order was available for download. I clicked the download link within the email and Internet Explorer opens up to the download iTunes 10 page. It doesn't even open up iTunes on my PC. So I checked for available downloads in iTunes. Nothing. There is notheing on her iPad. Nothing in iBooks. All she has is a receipt verifying that she purchased the pre-order for Janet Evanovich 18 but no book. How in the **** do I download this book for her???

I'm so tired of messing with this. We bought her the ipad because it was supossed to be simple. Something she could easily pick-up and start using.

Feb 21, 2012 3:26 AM in response to Lovestodance

I had the same issue with the book showing as paused. Here's the steps I took

On iPhone

-close the iBooks app down if its still open (double click Home and press red minus symbol to close)

On iTunes

-in Books section choose 'Selected Books' and UNTICK the book in question

-Click Apply button which will remove the book via another sync

After the sync has finished then TICK the book in question

-Click Apply which will re-download the book to the iphone

On iPhone

-start up iBooks and the book should download automatically

( DON't click on the Book until the download has finished in case you pause it again ! )

This worked for me and its pretty ugly but I did enjoy my book eventually.

Good luck!

May 1, 2012 10:09 PM in response to tincha

Initially I couldn't get the book to show up. Then I realized I recently had to create a new Apple ID when I updated to e newest IOS 5. I preordered the book using my old Apple ID. When I went to Settings and switched accounts to my old Apple ID. The book showed up. I think I had to log off the new account in the Settings Store area and make sure the toggle for automatic dowload books is ON and log in with my old account. Is worked for me.

unable to download a pre order in iBooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.