Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spare parts?

I need to repair a Macintosh computer made between 1984 and 1990. Does any one know where I can get parts? I was told that apple authorized service centers would sell me used working boards and such but I'm not sure. If they do sell it (or perhaps eBay) does someone know the average price for parts and if I got all the parts would apple put it together for me? Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Apple Macintosh Plus?, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier, Not sure what it is.

Posted on Apr 4, 2011 10:31 PM

7 replies

Apr 5, 2011 8:25 AM in response to anotherapplefreak

I was told that apple authorized service centers would sell me used working boards and such

Generally Apple authorized service centers are forbidden to sell just parts. Most likely unless the service center just happened to have a stock of old parts "just in case", they probably won't have parts in any case. Apple no longer provides parts for any Mac before about 2005. The swap site Tom mentioned, eBay, or a local Mac users group will be your best options.

If they do sell it (or perhaps eBay) does someone know the average price for parts

Impossible to say; parts can range from every cheap to rather pricey.

if I got all the parts would apple put it together for me?

No. An independent service provider might, though the cost of labor almost certainly won't be worth it for a computer that old. Apple will provide no support for any computer built that long ago.

Regards.

Message was edited by: Dave Sawyer

Apr 5, 2011 8:40 PM in response to anotherapplefreak

Ok thanks everyone. It has more sentimental value than actual value to me. I mistakenly put 220 volts into it instead of 110. It stool works but when it feels like it so I was hoping I could find parts and trust worthy professional help to fix it. Maybe you guys already know what needs replacing but if not that's ok.

P.S. Don't ask me how I put 220 volts into it it's a long story.
I am most likely the farthest point from Moscow.

Let me know what you guys think.

Apr 17, 2011 4:33 PM in response to anotherapplefreak

anotherapplefreak wrote:

I need to repair a Macintosh computer made between 1984 and 1990. Does any one know where I can get parts? I was told that apple authorized service centers would sell me used working boards and such but I'm not sure. If they do sell it (or perhaps eBay) does someone know the average price for parts and if I got all the parts would apple put it together for me? Thanks, any help is appreciated.

If it's a Mac Plus and you suspect its power supply is damaged, you would most likely want to look for a replacement "power/sweep board", part number 661-0462 (for 110V).

I would suspect simpler causes such as a dead PRAM battery or faulty memory but without knowing what the symptoms are it's difficult to help. There's also a fairly large carbon resistor on the power/sweep board that's been known to fail after many many years of use. Incorrect mains supply could have hastened its demise.

The hardest thing about a "classic" Macintosh is separating the case. You need a long Torx screwdriver, and you have to pry the case halves apart without damaging it too much.

Clearly this is not something you should do unless you understand the potentially lethal hazards of working with electrical equipment.

Parts are occasionally available on ebay. Whole computers are cost-prohibitive to ship, so you might try Craigslist for one near you.

Here's a repair guide: http://mammola.tripod.com/Macintosh_Plus.pdf

Good luck!

Spare parts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.