Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13" mid 2010 model (7.1): Mini Displayport to HDMI , no Sound

I bought my MacBook Pro on October 2010.

Also, in the SystemProfiler I can see that the "Audio Built-in" has HDMI in the list. And my macBook Version is 7.1 and am having OSX 10.6.7

I recently bought Sony Bravia KDL-40EX720 LED HDTV. And tried connecting the Display using a Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI. The Video works fine but cant get audio working. Also, the SystemPreference->Sound->Output has only Internal Audio in there.

Today I even tried with my office LCD HDTV from Samsung and Toshiba. Got the same result .. no Sound.

Where as my Father's MacBook Pro 13" which he got a couple of months earlier than mine got both Video/Audio working on his Panasonic Plasma TV. He is also using the same MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter I am using. But as I live some thousands miles away from home i can't check by connecting the Panasonic with my MacBookPro.

I have been looking out the forums and post all over the internet for any solution or relief but none so far. I still haven't had a clue if its the TV or the MacBook thats having this audio via HDMI issue.

Any, suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Sapam

MacBook Pro 13", Mac OS X (10.6.7), version 7.1

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 4:42 AM

13 replies

Apr 5, 2011 8:00 PM in response to Sotsira

As far as I can confirm my MacBook Pro 13" should support both Video and Audio by the HDMI using MDP to HDMI Adapter. And as I mentioned earlier my Fathers MacBook Pro 13" which was bought before mine last year seems to have both Audio/Video working using the same model of MDP to HDMI adapter I got. Its just that mine seems to refuse to get the Audio Option.

@Sotsira, thanks a lot for the Info about the USB powered MDP+AudioOut to HDMI cable. As I have already invested on this MDP to HDMI Adapter (which mentioned support for Audio along with Video), I am looking for more advice on more trouble shooting to find the Problem and figure a way out to get the Audio work with HDMI.

Regards,
Sapam

Apr 5, 2011 8:15 PM in response to sapam

As far as I can confirm my MacBook Pro 13" should support both Video and Audio by the HDMI using MDP to HDMI Adapter.

You are correct — your MBP 7,1 outputs both video and audio through its mini-Displayport. So the problem mostly likely lies in your adapter or your HDMI cable. One may be defective.

Apr 5, 2011 10:49 PM in response to eww

eew, I am also hoping that the problem lies with my Adapter or the cable (that's the cheapest of all the items currently involved 😉 ),

I think I can rule out the cable because I tried changing the cable with the HDMI cable which, my DVD Player is using to connect to my HDTV, and still got the same result no Audio (where as the DVD Player get to play both Audio/Video.

Well, maybe I'll have to try out other Adapter or figure a way to get my dad's Adapter which though is same model and make but works miraculously.

All suggestions and advices are highly appreciated.

Regards,
Sapam

Apr 6, 2011 7:08 AM in response to sapam

I have the same MBP Version 7.1 that you have and it also states in the System Profiler HDMI Display port
Output: Connection : Display. Now what that means, im not sure.

But i have also connected an HDMI cable via an adapter made by iWires Tech Link purchased at the Apple store and have the same problem as you, only video with no sound from the TV.

I've looked at the settings that eww has suggested in System Preferences > Sound > Output tab and their is no options available for HDMI out, or Display Audio or anything else for that matter, except built in speakers, and Audio port for sound output.
Which lead me to use the Audio port to send the sound out via an amp and speaker system independent to the TV.

Thats why i researched for the other adapters which send out the sound and the audio through the same adapter.

Apr 6, 2011 9:59 PM in response to eww

{quote:title=eww wrote:}
I should have asked earlier, but is it safe to assume that you've appropriately chosen "Display audio" or "HDMI out" or whatever suitable option appears in the Output tab of System Preferences > Sound?

{quote}

In the Output tab of the System Preference > Sound, I don't have HDMI or any other option than the "Internal Audio" as I mentioned in my first post.

{quote:title=sotsira wrote:}
I have the same MBP Version 7.1 that you have and it also states in the System Profiler HDMI Display port
Output: Connection : Display. Now what that means, im not sure.
{quote}
That means your MBP support Video and Audio via HDMI, just like me.

Regards,
Sapam

Apr 25, 2011 11:41 PM in response to sapam

I too am seeing the same behavior. No options besides internal speakers in the Sound Preferences. A lot of folks with a similar hardware setup are able to transmit audio successfully. So I'm guessing there is some OS/Software component here that differs amongst the users. One that has not yet been clearly identified. I'm running MacOSX 10.6.7

Oct 16, 2011 11:02 AM in response to Sotsira

@sotsira: the links you've given are apparently for adapters that merge MiniDP video with USB or headphone audio. It's my understanding that the particular model under discussion, macbook7,1, does not require this, as it is capable of conveying both video and audio out through the MiniDP.

Could you comment on this? Am I still misunderstanding the capability of the MacBook mid-2010?

MacBook Pro 13" mid 2010 model (7.1): Mini Displayport to HDMI , no Sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.