11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2011 3:20 PM by Joseph Kriz
zmix Level 1 Level 1
Hi I have a 4th generation iPod Touch (iOs 4.3.1) and my Girlfriend has a 3rd generation (iOs 4.2).
When you press the button at the top of the unit to put it into "sleep" mode, is the WiFi still active?

Is it recommended to turn off the WiFi before putting the player into sleep mode in order to conserve battery power?

Thanks.

Mac Pro 2.93ghz quad, Macbook core2 duo, Mac OS X (10.6.4)
Reply by Joseph Kriz on Apr 5, 2011 12:29 PM Helpful
Wi-Fi is always ON with the 4th generation model running 4.3.1 when it is sleeping unless you either turn off the Wi-Fi or turn Airplane mode ON.

Just remember that if you turn the Airplane mode ON or turn off the Wi-Fi, you won't be able to get any push notifications nor will the "Find My iPod" work.

I have been testing the battery life while sleeping for my 4th generation iPod Touch.
The battery is now on the 9th day sleeping and not plugged in and it is down to about 40% left.
Find my iPod is ON
Airplane mode is OFF

I don't see any problems with 9 or 10 days (plus) for battery life when in sleeping mode.

All replies

• Guy In AZ Level 1 Level 1
    Not sure about that but putting it in Airplane mode will conserve battery power when it's not in use.
  • Joseph Kriz Level 5 Level 5
    Wi-Fi is always ON with the 4th generation model running 4.3.1 when it is sleeping unless you either turn off the Wi-Fi or turn Airplane mode ON.

Just remember that if you turn the Airplane mode ON or turn off the Wi-Fi, you won't be able to get any push notifications nor will the "Find My iPod" work.

I have been testing the battery life while sleeping for my 4th generation iPod Touch.
    The battery is now on the 9th day sleeping and not plugged in and it is down to about 40% left.
    Find my iPod is ON
    Airplane mode is OFF

I don't see any problems with 9 or 10 days (plus) for battery life when in sleeping mode.
  • zmix Level 1 Level 1
    That's great information Joseph.

What sort of battery life do you get with the WIFI on (not in sleep mode)?
    That's really hard to say and everyone is different.
    Some people listen to music all day long, others use Wi-Fi heavily...
    I do a little of each.
    Some Apps use more battery power than other Apps, etc....

I usually plug my iPod Touch into the computer at the end of the day after using it.
    I don't notice any major drain.

I have only been testing this lately to see how long the battery will last in the sleep mode before it needs charging.
    So far, 9 days isn't bad and still about 40% left....

Thanks for the feedback.
  • montyfert Level 1 Level 1
    hi my ipod touch 4th gen battery lasts about 26 hours with wifi on sleeping.
    even with push turned off.
    montyfert,

That is not nearly long enough.
    You seem to have a problem. Something besides just the Wi-Fi is draining your battery.

I am on 9 days now and still about 40% battery left.
    But it only drains when the wifi is on no apps running .silly thing lol
    My Wi-Fi is ON and lasting 9 days now...

That is a lot longer than 26 hours you are getting.
  • luvlabs Level 4 Level 4
    While we don't have this on our touches and iPhones, Android phones running 2.2 have a battery useage by hardware service running. WiFi is extremely low when it comes to battery consumption whereas the screen ***** down the battery like crazy. I've got a feeling that our iDevices aren't a whole lot different in terms of what uses the battery.
    just connected my ipod touch to my mobile broadband MIFI thingy ,
    put the touch to sleep and 26 minutes later it has used 53.9 kb while on standby.
    Just to report my final findings on my battery for my 4th generation iPod Touch.

The battery lasted 10 days and 3 hours on standby (sleep) before I finally got the 20% low battery warning.

I decided to plug my iPod Touch back in to charge after 10 days....

------------
    My 2nd generation is on 10 days standby (sleep) now and still has about 95% left....

Apparently it is possible to have good battery life as I can attest to from my testing.