Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you tether an iPad 2 to a MacBook Pro?

The MacBook Pro is connected to the network with a network cable and I would like to connect my iPad to it to use the internet. I've turned on the Airport on the MacBook and set it to create a network but past that I can't get it to work.

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 9:54 AM

9 replies

Apr 5, 2011 10:09 AM in response to Ge0ph

Go to System Preferences...
In system preferences turn on Internet sharing....
Select .... Share Your connection from ... Built in Ethernet
Select ....To Computers Using Airport
You may have to check Internet sharing at this point - don't remember exact sequence.
Turn off the firewall as well.

Then turn on Airport from your Menu at the top of the screen, select create network - should default to your computers name - enter password - should be ready to go.

Oct 29, 2012 5:53 AM in response to Demo

I am in Bermuda set up with a wireless connection provided, for a small fee) by the resort.

Tried to set up sharing internet through both WiFi and Bluetooth. Although the ipad and MacBook Pro show as being "connected' through Blutooth I get nothing through the i-pad. Can't seem to connect WiFi at all. Any suggestions. I followed your instructions to the letter. (the only difference in wording. My machine offers "Ethernet" not "Built in ethernet")

How do you tether an iPad 2 to a MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.