Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Output folder contents into text file

Hello, everyone.

I am new to automator, and I'd like to learn how to use it. Recently, someone asked me if there was a way that they could select a folder and somehow dump the filenames of all items in that folder (non-recursively) to a text file. It seems to me that this is the sort of thing that Automator would be able to do. Can anyone give me some tips on how I might go about doing this?

I also figured this might be possible with a custom bash command. I am more experienced with bash and Unix command line, so if there is a better option there, please let me know. I just figured I would check here first.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 10:04 AM

3 replies

Apr 5, 2011 10:46 AM in response to Niel

That does work, but the only problem is that the folder who's contents are being exported will be different every time. (I see now that I didn't specify that in my first post). Ideally, he would either be given an option to select a folder to read, or he would just be able to drag and drop the folder onto an application (or into terminal) and have it perform this task.

Output folder contents into text file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.