Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Press "Return"

I know this is simplistic but when I enter a value in a Numbers 09 spreadsheet and press "Return" the cursor moves to the next box. Can I set it so it stays in the same entry?

Macbook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 2:02 PM

7 replies

Apr 6, 2011 6:59 AM in response to Anthony Curcio

On my Mac with the setting unchecked, the Return key does not move out of the cell. The Enter key moves down one row, though. I don't have a Macbook Air to test with.

On my Mac with the setting checked, the Return key moves down one cell or down one row and left to the first column in which I started entering data. The Enter key moves down one row in the same column.

With the setting unchecked, the Return key puts a carriage return/line feed in the cell. It does not "enter" the data. In other words, you cannot type in a number then press return then type in a different number and press return, etc., you'll end up with a bunch of numbers on multiple lines in the same cell. Command Return is the command to do this task and it works the same regardless of the setting.

Message was edited by: Badunit

Press "Return"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.