7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2011 8:36 AM by Anthony Curcio
Anthony Curcio Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
I know this is simplistic but when I enter a value in a Numbers 09 spreadsheet and press "Return" the cursor moves to the next box. Can I set it so it stays in the same entry?

Macbook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
  • 1. Re: Press "Return"
    Barry Level 7 Level 7 (29,180 points)
    Anthony Curcio wrote:
    I know this is simplistic but when I enter a value in a Numbers 09 spreadsheet and press "Return" the cursor moves to the next box. Can I set it so it stays in the same entry?

Inspector > Table Inspector > uncheck the box at the bottom of the Inspector window.

Regards,
    Barry
  • 2. Re: Press "Return"
    Thanks but when I do that the cursor moves one cell down. Have I checked something I shouldn't have?
    Tony
  • 3. Re: Press "Return"
    Badunit Level 6 Level 6 (10,815 points)
    On my Mac with the setting unchecked, the Return key does not move out of the cell. The Enter key moves down one row, though. I don't have a Macbook Air to test with.

On my Mac with the setting checked, the Return key moves down one cell or down one row and left to the first column in which I started entering data. The Enter key moves down one row in the same column.

With the setting unchecked, the Return key puts a carriage return/line feed in the cell. It does not "enter" the data. In other words, you cannot type in a number then press return then type in a different number and press return, etc., you'll end up with a bunch of numbers on multiple lines in the same cell. Command Return is the command to do this task and it works the same regardless of the setting.

Message was edited by: Badunit
  • 4. Re: Press "Return"

I have tried your suggestions but I cannot get it to work like in Excel where "Return" leaves the cursor in the same cell. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

• 5. Re: Press "Return"
    uselessSABOTAGE Level 4 Level 4 (3,680 points)

I have a MBP and I tried it and it worked.

• 6. Re: Press "Return"
    Badunit Level 6 Level 6 (10,815 points)

I assume you first tried this a while ago and are just now getting back to responding, 8 months later.  Now I understand your question.

Use Command-Return.  But after entering the data, make sure you only do it once. If you do it twice it will select the table.

• 7. Re: Press "Return"

Yes, I gave up on Numbers and went back to Excel but I am trying again because of the iCloud feature. I hope the next version of iWork comes out soon.

Thanks very much. You solved the problem.