Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Monitors and DualHead2Go not wanting to work...

Hey everyone, I have recently purchased a Matrox DualHead2Go Digital Edition in hopes of being able to use a dual monitor setup on my desk, however I cannot get it to work. I have submitted a request to Matrox trying to get their 2-cents-worth on what to do and have not been able to get a response that works, here is what I sent them, any help would be greatly appreciated!

System:
Apple MacBook Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHZ
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Mac OSX v10.6.7

Matrox Driver Package:
Matrox PowerDesk (Downloaded form Matrox website, for Mac)
Mode Table Version: 6.56
Firmware Version: 2.3.40

DETAILED EXPLANATION FOR CONTACTING US
I am unable to obtain video on both external screens. I have 2 Dell 22" (E228WFP), running 1680x1050, 60Hz (Optimal resolution per monitor specs). I plug in the graphic expansion module (GXM) to the computer with everything connected, monitor one responds and turns on (at a really small resolution) and monitor two does not recognize any input. When I try to change the resolutions, most of the time the time monitor one cannot display the resolution because it says it is not supported when I know it is (1680x1050), and monitor two is still in power save mode. I have tried all steps with the MacBook Pro display on and off.

My cable setup is as follows (the USB from GXM to Computer is already connected)
From Apple Mini-DVI Port
Apple Mini-DVI to VGA adaptor
VGA cable
DualHead2Go Digital Edition
DVI cables to Monitors

I have tried the following based on the online support and other web postings:
- In the GXM Control Panel, I have clicked 'Configure Based on Attached Displays' and it pulls up the correct specs. (1680x1050, 60Hz for both monitors).
- Adjusted the resolution in the Apple System Preferences to accommodate the larger resolution, however a 3360x1050 60Hz (1680x1050, 60Hz times 2) is not listed.

What settings do I need to change to make the two external displays work, each with a 1680x1050 resolution.

If anyone knows how to fix this and lives in the Dallas area, I owe you a few drinks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Matrox DualHead2Go

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 9:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2011 7:22 AM

Apple Mini-DVI to VGA adaptor
VGA cable

That's your problem. Get a mini-DVI to DVI adapter instead. VGA is analog. DVI is digital. No need to make the conversion to analog, especially when analog does not support 16:10 or 16:9 ratio resolutions.
5 replies

Apr 7, 2011 9:42 AM in response to a brody

I was thinking that as well when I bought the Matrox unit, however it is the 'Digital Edition' with the DVI outputs, I was under the impression that everything would have been digital at that point.

I have called Matrox and they are looking into it, we will see what they say. Pretty disappointed with them this far...if they say that it is the wrong unit I might just go with a different brand instead of Matrox.

Apr 7, 2011 10:30 AM in response to ar.wells

ar.wells: You have the wrong Matrox unit for your computer.

Instead of the Digital Edition, you need the DP (DisplayPort) Edition and the companion Mini-DisplayPort-to DisplayPort cable. Your computer has a Mini-DisplayPort for video output, not a mini-DVI port, and a mini-DVI adapter wouldn't plug into it. So it would appear that you have a Mini-DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter instead. You can make a physical connection to your Matrox box with that, but it won't work electronically. That adapter will be of no use with the right Matrox box, so plan to return it as well unless you have another use for it (connecting to a projector for business presentations, for example).

You'll need to exchange your Matrox unit and cable for the DP Edition, packaged with the proper adapter cable. The Matrox product number for that kit is D2G-DP-MIF. There is also a D2G-DP-IF, but that doesn't include the cable.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/specs.php

Multiple Monitors and DualHead2Go not wanting to work...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.