Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using original iPhone overseas

I have an American original iPhone purchased from the Apple Store so it unlocked. I am in Australia and purchased an Ausie sim card for phone service. When I try to call the number to activate it I get on the screen an icon of a USB plug and iTunes. I assume it is asking me to synch to my computer's iTunes but I did not bring my computer. Is there a way to make this phone work here?

Original iPhone, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 10:52 PM

2 replies

Apr 6, 2011 3:15 AM in response to zadnor1

I have an American original iPhone purchased from the Apple Store so it unlocked.

All US iPhones are locked to either AT&T or Verizon, with no way to get them officially unlocked, as neither AT&T or Verizon will unlock an iPhone for anyone for any reason. AFAIK, the only place in the whole world that the original iPhone was ever sold as officially unlocked was France. So, unless you purchased this phone from an Apple store in France(you state it is an American iPhone), your phone is locked to AT&T. Thus, it will not work or activate with any other carrier's sim other than an AT&T sim. As already stated, AT&T will not unlock your phone for any reason.

Apr 6, 2011 6:41 AM in response to zadnor1

I have an original iPhone, and that's correct. You are required to have an already active AT&T sim to activate the original iPhone in iTunes. You can also do it if you have the sim that originally came with that iPhone (though having that sim is unlikely, at this point). An AT&T store might be able to activate it also (in the U.S. of course). Not sure what you can do with it in Australia, though I am sure there are ways around this.

Using original iPhone overseas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.