Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse laggy. Could it be a Bluetooth problem?

Hi there,

Every now and then my Magic Mouse seems to glitch a little. And sometimes it glitches a lot, and for a while. My Mac Pro is underneath my desk in a compartment that is made for a desktop computer. Could it be that the bluetooth signal sometimes isn't at its best?

I'm thinking about buying a USB Bluetooth dongle that I can put on the front of the Mac Pro's USB port and see if that fixes the problem. Does anyone have any recommendations for a USB Bluetooth dongle?

Mac Pro 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" (Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.7), 12GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 11:37 PM

9 replies

Apr 6, 2011 12:30 AM in response to IlMolto

It might be a bluetooth issue. If you search the forum posts here you'll find threads about the issue.

One of the links referenced in the threads is:
http://nobblynoel.wordpress.com/2010/04/25/mac-pro-2009-bluetooth-fix/

Personally I used the pigtail/antenna solution. It works like a charme and is an easy fix which does not break sleep/wakeup (as some USB dongles do).

Apr 6, 2011 12:52 AM in response to ltsl

Hi and thanks for your post. I remember reading this blog a little while ago as I've been experiencing this behaviour with my Magic Mouse for some time now. I was skeptical at first to give it a go but reading it once more has made me realise that it's not that difficult. Just a lot of steps I guess. I'll let you know how I go. Thanks again 🙂

Apr 7, 2011 10:22 PM in response to nobblynoel

Hi nobbly,

Firstly I want to say thanks for your blog. I'm so sick of my Magic Mouse problems and I can't wait for it to go away. I've found another antenna which is 10 dBi. I'm happy with the price and size so I will probably get that. As for the cable, I'm having trouble finding one that is 12 inches. All of them are 7 inches. I've contacted one of the sellers on eBay if they have a 12 inch one. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again 🙂

Jun 1, 2011 6:25 PM in response to IlMolto

After all this time, I still haven't been able to find a 12" cable. So I have given up and decided to use my Mac with the side cover left off. It does help quite a bit. My mouse feels a lot smoother and less laggy. I should have done this a long time ago. I have some concerns with it though.

Can leaving the cover off of my Mac Pro cause any problems? Such as cooling problems or anything?

Magic Mouse laggy. Could it be a Bluetooth problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.