Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corrupted Preferences?

While researching for a fix to another issue (suddenly couldn't connect to Airport), I stumbled across a strange symptom in my Preferences:

in user/Library/Preferences all of the com.apple. .plist files have a strange additional 7 digit ending (e.g. com.apple.iApps.plist.1aEuAYE)

Also, when I try to scroll down within the Preferences window, the window will disappear and reload, always back to the top listings.

Even stranger: this happens only in column view, the strange file name extensions and scroll problem disappear when I switch to icon or list view.

MacBookPro i7 | iMac Intel Core Duo | MacBook Pro | G5 Dual | iBook G4, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 6, 2011 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2011 9:53 AM

You can safely delete any of those. It's a bug, since those should be deleted when you restart. On my machine, they show up in all views. AFAICT, the OS is failing to delete those when they're changed or when you restart.
3 replies

Corrupted Preferences?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.