Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Cinema Display A 1038 with new MacBook Pro (connector ?)

guys, I've been using an Apple Cinema Display (A-1038) with G4 tower. I purchased the cinema display in 2004. I just bought a new MacBook Pro and apple has sent me the wrong cord twice (mini display port to dvi adaptor). Is there an adaptor out there that will allow me to use the cinema display with my new macbook?

2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Apr 6, 2011 11:20 AM

12 replies

May 5, 2011 1:55 PM in response to Brian Crowley

Sounds like you're going to need the Apple DVI to ADC Display Adapter. Two problems: 1) Apple doesn't sell them anymore, try a google search; 2) They cost around $100, because besides providing the necessary video connection conversion and USB extensions, it actually powers the display. Note the absence of an AC cord for the display.

The now defunct ADC connection provided video, usb, and AC power connections in a single cord.

User uploaded file

Apr 4, 2012 5:39 PM in response to Lanny

Greetings,

I too suffer from a similar problem and have the DVIator ADC to DVI conversion kit but still result in no display.

The 22" Apple Cinema Display from 2000 has a single ADC connection. My DVIator is currently allowing me to use the display with my iMacG4 by providing external power and a DVI output.

Now I have a new MacbookPRO 2.0 i7 Quad Core. I took my DVI to Minidisplay that I use at work with my other DVI monitor to hook it up to my Apple Cinema. No dice.. I can press the power button on the display and it lights up but fades out with nothing on the display. Detecting Displays from the Display menu only shows my main laptop screen. Thoughts on how to get this to work? I have all the right pieces and each component works when used individually...

Recap: 22" ADC Apple Cinema Display -> DVIator ADCtoDVI (Dr.Bott) -> Apple Branded DVI to MiniDisplay -> MacbookPRO 2.0 i7 (High Performance Graphics Enabled)

No dice.. Advice please? Should I try obtaining the Apple branded ADC to DVI adapter??

Apr 4, 2012 7:44 PM in response to Lanny

there is no such thing as a 22" ADC Apple Cinema Display

<http://support.apple.com/kb/SP53>

(There is an error for the native resolution. It is actually 1600 x 1024)

I am reading your message on a 22" ADC Apple Cinema Display, 1600 x 1024, purchased October 2001 with a G4 Quicksilver Mac. I am using it now with a Mac Pro via the Apple DVI to ADC converter.

Apr 4, 2012 7:56 PM in response to Samir Nagheenanajar

The Dr. Bott DVIator may need a stronger DVI signal than that provided by the Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter. If you can't find the Apple DVI to ADC adapter, you could try an active Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter. The only Apple one is dual-link

<http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A>

Since you don't need dual-link, you can use a single-link active adapter, such as

<http://ca.startech.com/AV/Displayport-Converters/Mini-DisplayPort-to-DVI-Active- Adapter~MDP2DVIS>

Apr 4, 2012 9:21 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Howdy,

Thank you for the responses. I have a feeling that I will need the single-link active adapter at the very least.

Here are the Dr.Bott DVIator specs http://www.dviator.com/us/DVIator.html which has worked quite well for every other DVI system I've used it with.

Hate to drop more bucks on this monitor but it is still beautiful to use and would make a great addition to the i7.

Thank you all for the advice. If I get either option to work I will post the solution to this thread or a new one depedning on age for future reference. I don't seem to be the only person with this problem.

Cheers,

May 1, 2012 10:04 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Greetings,

I bought a used Applpe-Dual Link adapter and still no go on the display......

I have a feeling the single link won't work either in this case.... I guess I'll have to try the apple branded ADC-DVI adapter?

It's weird... again this was one of the FIRST Apple Cinema DIsplay productions that went along with the G4 Cube.. The display has a power button but its a single push button where a white light shines then fades. Usually that would power up the Cube as well... I'm going to be very sad to see this display go...

Anyone with an ADC Cinema display successfully link it to a Macbook PRO? Malcom said he gets it to work on Mac PRO but that does not get me down to a mini-display adapter....

Thanks!

Apple Cinema Display A 1038 with new MacBook Pro (connector ?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.